First year of hybridizing

We have an opening bud, no fragrance from what I can tell.
20220819_114652.jpg
20220819_114722.jpg

Here she is, not the most pretty bloom but im still proud of my first seedling ever! I’ll probably still keep it because of sentiment and it may still have good disease resistance. Has anyone been successful breeding with hideous flowers and producing gems?
20220820_160022.jpg
20220820_160030.jpg
20220820_160038.jpg

Congtats! Don’t judge your maiden bloom too harshly. As the matures, so should her blossoms.

1 Like

20221028_093523
20221027_081904
20221027_081854
20221026_083558
20221026_083538

Here is an update on the seedling since its the only one i have and i thinks its nice to express my observations and get feedback from people here. I am fairly certain its a selfing and i am kind of hoping its a diploid. It seems to have carried the dko disease resistance through (although maybe slightly less strong) its leaves survived 2 weeks of constant rain/hurricane ian and has also been dealing with wet leaves at night due to condensation, so all things considered, im impressed so far. You can see some black spot puncta on the leaves in my pictures. It is nearly thornless and i like the darker blue green leaves with the teething. I also think the stem holds a nice color similar to the dko parent. It has my favorite flower form, pointed petals, globular, and makes what i call a dragon fruit shaped bud as it opens ( globular but with points slightly hanging off the bud). It never blows out flat and maintains a cup shape. The petals are also arranged in a pleasing way. Overall, i think the form is superior to dko in my opinion (i dislike the flat star shaped blowout). The petals are somewhat krinkley and not smooth which is interesting. It doesnt have any discernable fragrance so far. The sepals are insanely large (compared to flower size) and sometimes seem to have leaflets. The size of the sepals seems to crook the bud depending on how fast they are growing. I wonder how the reproductive parts will look once its more mature.

It is not super vigorous and seems to grow slowly, i am not sure if that changes depending on the age of the plant. I do like its willingness to push out more canes as its blooming, so im hoping itll turn out to be fairly floriforous.

So quick question, i’ve had some rubrifolia seeds sitting in my car for 1.5 years, do yall think they might still be viable?

Honestly, I think that would be pretty unlikely–you’ve got nothing to lose by sowing them, but you might want to hunt for some replacement seeds while you wait!

1 Like