first roses of the year

Here attached is my first bloom of the year–a micro-mini. The cross is OsoEasy Italian Ice x Gigi Parade. One pic is a close-up of the (slow-opening) bloom and one of the plant.
IMG_0559[1].JPG
IMG_0557.JPG

Very nice Marty. Italian Ice sure is a willing seed parent.

Very pretty, Marty. I think the foliage will set off those blooms beautifully. Is that the first bloom of the seedling? I’ll be curious to see how it develops on a mature plant! A mini Abigaile could be quite beautiful.

I never managed to get anything from Gigi. Congratulations. And my first bloom of the season usually makes me go, “yuck”. (I see I have two seedlings now developing buds though, so we’ll see…)

Oooh. That is a beauty. Please post photos of it as it grows and blooms again. Do you think it is phototropic? [did I spell that right?]
-Brian in PA

Indeed, it is the first bloom on any of my 300+ seedlings this year.

I’m not sure the pollen parent is Gigi Parade. You see, I used mixed pollen—Red Sunblaze, an unnamed red pot plant, and Gigi. But with the coloration ofthe flower, I’m assuming it’s Gigi. Of course, I could be wrong.

Re phototropism, all my seedings are erect because they all get full sun.

I’m attempting to create some micro-minis so I find this intriguing. Nice decorative form - like the blushes of color on the petal edges.
Stephen

Marty, I think Brian was wanting to know if the two-tone was a sunlight induced color change, or if that’s a stable trait that would also occur in e.g. a greenhouse setting.

The confusing terminology is one I am guilty of. I saw someone refer to sunlight-induced color-changing as phototropism, and I ran with it without really knowing if it was an applicable use of the word myself. I am not sure that it was, looking up the word. (Apologies, Brian, if you picked up a bogus term from me!) Can someone give me the appropriate term for sunlight-induced color-changing?

I personally wouldn’t presume Gigi as the parent in a batch of mixed pollen, but it is regardless a very attractive first bloom on a seedling. I hope to see an update when the plant is more mature. She looks quite pretty at this stage already.

I searched as best I could and the closest analogy that might work is photochromism. Some folks have referred to the difference in rose petal color with light intensity (particularly toward the UV end of spectrum) as photoblastic. But that term is reserved for seeds where germination responds directly to light, as with some old lettuce CV. Phytochrome drives that process. It could also be a factor in the petal colors. I don’t think there has been a careful study of what wavelengths of light must be high to induce the coloration. But the response is rather like what happens to plants exposed to UV, they turn red from anthocyanin production. It is a stress response.

Photochromism is a characteristic of things called flavyliums. The flower pigments are in this class so to me it would seem reasonable to use the term photochromic to describe the flower color changes. It is not strictly correct because a photochromic color change ought to be reversible. I don’t know that it is reversible in petals. It is closer to the stress response induced by too much light.

Whoa, so petal color-changing is not called phototropism? OK, I just googled it and now I feel kinda dumb. I’ve been using this term to make myself look smart when giving rose seminars.

Is there a latin root/suffix that would mean “changing”? Can we call it photochromutopism? That would make me seem pretty smart.

You might well be the one who fed me the term, Joe! LOL. (Weren’t we both the ones running with horizontal and vertical resistance terminology as well?) Please tell me you didn’t pick it up from me! Then I really do feel bad!

Right… Tropism has to do with orientating. I never really thought about it, but saw the term used, understood it in its context, and ran with it.

There really needs to be a good term for that… I mean, when you think you have a good erudite-sounding term and it gets pulled out from under you, you really need a good addiction replacement…

I stand by horizontal and vertical resistance. Got that from David Zlesak who is a pretty smart guy.

I’m gonna go with photochromism as Larry suggested.

I do not believe that coloration was sun-induced:

1. It bloomed in early April–not much sun
  2. The days during its bloom were not that sunny or hot.
  3. Believe it or not, it’s now been over a week and the color has remained stable and the flower still looks good—Alas, just 11 petals. We’ll see if it adds a few more on the next bloom.
    By the way, here’s photos of the 2nd and 3rd to bloom. That orangey-red one looks like it will end up with a 2" flower on a standard-mini-size plant. The 3rd one (the pink one) looks like a micro-mini with a dozen petals.
    All three are Oso Easy Italian Ice x mixed pot-plant pollen. As I said, I’m guessing that the first one was x Gigi Parade. I have no idea what the 2nd one was–that color and form don’t look at all like any of the mixed pollens I used. I’m guessing that the third one was x Tejana Parade (a pink-and-white stripe of gorgeous form but a terribly not vigorous plant that seems prone to every damn disease.
    IMG_0564[1].JPG
    IMG_0561[1].JPG

Here it is a day later. The light-colored reverse wasn’t apparent until now.
IMG_0565[1].JPG

And here it is in the ideal stage. Candidly, I’m shocked that the third to bloom seedling from my first breeding efforts in 20 years (and I had none so nice 20 years ago) is so pretty, so I thought I’d share these pix of it with you in hopes of inspiring you to perhaps try the cross: Oso Easy Italian Ice x mixed pollen (Gigi Parade and some unnamed gorgeous form, compact bicolor Por LaMar plants I got from Trader Joe’s in a 3" pot.)
2019seedling1.JPG

It’s a beauty Marty!

Here are the first of the year for me. All sister seedlings of PL4 x Koko Loko (PL4 is one of my own, you can see pics of it on HMF). There’s the tiniest hulthemia blotch in each of them but I was hoping for some more interesting colors. More to come!

IMG_3061.jpg

Nice Joseph! I like the leaves as well.

Thanks Rob. The powdery mildew is just starting to appear here and there in the garden. Will know if these seedlings get it soon enough. So far so good!

Question about micro minis-

Do you usually have them act as the pollen parent? And if so how difficult is it to collect the pollen? I myself have a Cinderella micro I’m very interested in crossing!