Ethylene as a plant growth primer

The idea here is that gassing emerging seedlings with ethylene has a profound effect on their lifelong growth trajectory. No mention of roses in the paper but this is an easy-to-do experiment so perhaps our visiting professors might find an incentive here.

Exposing plants to ethylene early on may bolster their growth

2 Likes

Very interesting. But it makes me wonder where the 0.7 ppm they used was originated, and if higher / lower levels would be beneficial or detrimental.

I no longer have access to a GC, but it still makes me want to make n enclosure for my stratified seeds and stick a ripe banana in there and see what happens!

1 Like

I like the idea of the banana. I’ll put some near my seedlings this spring.

Did some reading. Apparently ethylene is also used to prevent germination of onions and potatoes. Maybe good to use it only after germination.

Some plants produce it to communicate with each other. Acacia trees that are being eaten produce it. Other trees that pick up the ethylene create more toxines to fend off the herbivores.
Some plants grow more prickles when eaten (holly). But I don’t know if they would also share their issues by means of gasses. We still 've only scratched the surface of how things work in plants and their ecology.

1 Like