Ethics...

There are many other pivotal questions, some of which are just different ways of saying the same thing, that I think bear thinking about. Please understand that much of what I will say is me playing the Devil’s advocate. I do, however, think that they are important questions that need to be considered carefully.

These include:

Is it right to pursue the germination of these difficult-to-germinate seeds?

Is it really that important to get good germination rates when the very reason we get poor germination rates may not be entirely our own fault but be caused, instead, by fundamental genetic flaws?

Is a low germination rate of superior quality seedlings better than a bunch of seedlings delivered by C-section that need nursing along on life-support systems?

Is zero germination a clear sign that it didn’t work, try again?

Does the very fact that they are difficult to germinate allude to incompatibilities and possible evolutionary dead-ends?

Is it right to put so much time and effort into something that should never have seen the light of day?

Has anyone followed up the progress of these hard-to-germinate seedlings to determine their long-term vigour and health AND the value of their contributions to developing superior lines of superior genetic potential?

Is it worth forcing Nature’s hand just to get the genes into the gene pool?

Is it better to re-assess the situation instead and choose/plan a slightly different route?

Would it be better to repeat crosses that had previously proven unfruitful until they do bear fruit?

I’m not talking about performing embryo extractions to shorten the generational gap. This is a valuable strategy in a hybridiser’s arsenal. I’m talking about the ‘Prairie Princess’-type seeds or the ‘Euphrates’-type seeds that no-one has been able to germinate naturally before. I did an extraction just last night of a ‘Euphrates’ hybrid seed because I’m keen to manifest these genes into something I can work with further and in doing so correct any issues that may be present in the ‘test tube baby’ parent. I did so with trepidation, however, thinking don’t do it Simon. Just try it again on something different. It’s not that big a deal. Then I did it anyway because I figured nothing ventured nothing gained and the gambler in me took over.

If it was me faced with Jim’s dilema I might be just as inclined to take heed of the situation and do as he has already done and abandone this line of breeding because it may be a clear sign that this is as far as it was meant to go.

In discussions like this I’m always reminded of a great line in the movie ‘Jurassic Park’ that scientists are so preoccupied with whether they can do something they never stop to think whether they should. There is something of this in this discussion I believe. If we are truly in this to breed better roses then maybe one needs to adopt a more tried-and-true methodology; natural selection and survival of the fittest. My disclaimer here is that these questions do not necessarily represent what I believe; I think I may at least partially believe them, but I think there is much value in discussing the ethical and philosophical nature of such things, especially when faced with new technology or knowledge that can potentially see many substandard plants being used in breeding that should never have made it past the pollen stage. Please don’t see this as criticism… it isn’t. These are questions that one should be asking of lots of things we do such as chromosome doubling etc. Should we be putting so much effort into getting seeds to germinate that never should have or are we shooting ourselves in the foot instead? I hope people can see it for what it is; an opportunity to elucidate that which we value.

Below I have pasted germination percentages from a Finnish rose breeding program by the University of Helsinki (still undergoing):

R. rugosa and its cultivars 30-50 %

R. pimpinellifolia (spinosissima) and its cultivars 5-10 %

R. gallica, R. alba cultivars 5-10 %

R. dumalis < 5 %

Not too impressive. They didn’t list germination percentages of any modern bush roses, unfortunately.

George, I cannot by no means make any quantitative comparisons, having first started JEC just a few weeks ago.

I can only say that, for example, last year I got no germination from 64 seeds from the cross Golden celebration X William’s double yellow. But currently, I have several seedlings growing from the cross GC X Klaus Groth (a spinosissima hybrid as well) thanks to JEC.

Jukka,

Thanks for the information.

Please try the WEC way, it is even more effective than the JEC, as there is no risk of dehydration with WEC. I believe dehydration is a very big reason embryos die when cultures are done (second to damaged embryos from bad extractions), which is why WEC seems to be more effective than JEC.

I am really impressed with what you have achieved, happy rose breeding!

Larry Davis, not too long ago, hypothesised on another post, that WEC may possibly assist rose embryo chromosome doubling techniques. For example, could WEC be utilized as a system which could facilitate the optimal harvesting of “seedling-embryos” when they are just starting to open cotyledons to expose the “primordial” apical meristem?

My general position on embryo culture is this:

If you like sowing rose seeds then sow them…if you like embryo culture because if fills a gap in your rose breeding programme (for whatever easy or hard to understand reason) -like Jukka does, then do JEC or WEC or whatever other EC you adore…whatever works and makes you happy, I say JUST DO IT AND BE HAPPY YOU CAN DO IT!! LOL!

By the way… I WISH someone here would kindly explain to me the html “trick” of how to add slanted type intead of capital letters to emphasise a point…it realy does appear as thouhg one is creaming out when capitals are used… LOL

So sorry to ask about this, I am sure it doesn’t matter to some, but that is not the point.

<}:^)

creaming = screaming in the post above

Yes…the coffee is STRONG this morning

If anyone wishes to help me out on the off-topic request about html language and “tricks”, please email me about it rather than post here, as I would not like to cause an off-topic situation here, which could happen because of what I just posted.

gvarden at bigpond dot net dot au

Thanks!!

Hi George,

Thank you for the food for thought (Simon, I am still thinking about your food for thought)!

For bold and slanted you use “b” and “i” (without the quotation marks). You begin by placing the “b” inside a “” (again without quotations marks). You do the same thing with the “i”. They are both placed before the word or phrase that you want to emphasize. Then you “close” the instructions by ending with “/i” and “/b”, again inside the arrows. Then you get this!

Of course you can just do the “b” or the “i” and get bold or italics.

I hope that makes sense!

Jim Sproul

Hi Jim!

Got it! you are a great teacher, and you have a great ability to explain yourself in a very easy to understand and direct way, particularly to do with roses of course!

Jim, regarding embryo EXTRACTIONS done on a “larger scale”…

This is a daunting task mentally for me to even consider. Granted, I could be a lazy one as well, and I dunno about Don Holeman’s views on this (and I would love to hear them Don if you happen to be reading this), but for me, I cannot motivate myself to be doing more than say maximum 50 embryo extractions in one sitting, especially if I find that the achenes are nearly all good and have solid seed in them (ie. potenatially good embryos)…My brain seems to switch off after the first 15 min, and then I go into some automatic mode like some zombie, and before I know it hours of time have literally has passed by!! It is scary.

So I rarely do it!!

I hardly ever need to do embryo work these days…In the past I was doing it initially because it was just loads of fun and to get fast results, and later to try and develop a culture method to improve my JEC method.

Hi Jukka!

By asking you to try WEC, it is only because you already are trying JEC, which is on the same “wavelenght” only a better system. I too would also encourage you to check out Don Holeman’s published work on EC, which I highly respect, and see how ideas from the various sources can be used to find your own unique way. Perhaps you are going to teach us new things too, I would encourage you to speak out and let us know.

This is what the forum is all about. We are all friends here, and are tryign to share knowledge and fun about rose breeding related matters. And Jukka, I am sooooo happy for you that you can play with rose embryos and convert them to seedlings, only because in your case this has meant the difference between giving up rose breeding altogether or taking up this hobby!!

Is it right to pursue the germination of these difficult-to-germinate seeds?

Simon, my observations tell me that there are two major reasons why seeds won’t germinate. Top on the list is disease, especially molds. Second is high amounts of germination inhibitor compounds.

Inhibition is no fault of the embryo as these compounds are strictly maternal, being produced by the testa which is a maternal tissue. Since the embryo is at the mercy of the mother in this regard I see no ethical dilemma in intervening.

Disease susceptibility of an embryo may or may not be related to disease susceptibility of the resultant plant - nobody knows because nobody has ever studied it. Whether we risk perpetuating a problem in this regard is an open question but it’s easy enough to cull seedlings down the line so I like having that option. The same goes for other fitness characteristics. You just have to be ruthless enough to make the cuts.

George, my view on production scale embryo culture is pretty much what I said in the manual: it’s just another part of the toolkit, use it when you have to and use something easier when you can.

I hesitate to put a number on productivity. Proficiency at doing extractions builds on itself but it is only one of many factors that determine seedling yields. Peter Semeniuk at the USDA managed something like 200 per day (I’m pretty sure he had a technician to help out). I can do more than that but, as you point out, who wants to?

Having said that, I just looked back through my notes from last season. By the end of March there were:

5917 seeds extracted

2587 embryos cultured

566 potted up

I’m certain that a lot of people do way better than that using conventional methods (but I never have). A case in point are Carlin’s Rhythm OP seeds. I lost all of my embryos to disease during incubation while Simon managed quite well by tossing seeds from the same batch into soil.

Incidentally, it might help to know that you can break up the work flow. If your seeds are dry when you do the extractions then the embryos can be stored for a considerable time (several months with refrigeration) until you get around to removing the testae to initiate germination. In fact, I’ve shipped embryos to Europe this way which were later germinated successfully.

5917 seeds extracted

2587 embryos cultured

566 potted up

WOW!

Don, that is a LOT of hard work, my brain has just buckled thinking about all that amount of extracting!!!

congrats to you, Don!!!

Because of this thread and a couple of others, I decided to experiment with some OP seeds this year to see how the various techniques compare and which will produce the best results for me.

I started with some OP seeds that had already been warm stratified for 6 weeks at room temp that I divided into three groups. The first group is the control group, the second group I soaked in 70% alcohol for 5 minutes because I got good results doing this three years ago when I ran out of peroxide. The third group will soak in tomato sauce for two or three weeks, because of Simon’s good results when he tried this. I then decided to try embryo rescue and cold stratification without warm treatment, so I collected some more OP seeds from the same plant.

Using two nail clippers, a large toenail clipper to hold the seed and a smaller clipper to snip away the endocarp from the embryo, I attempted to rescue some embryos. Out of 25 seeds that I attempted, only 3 had viable embryos in them and I crushed 2 of those, so that left me with only one viable embryo. Needless to say I decided that this wasn

Jukka, I would like to correct a typing error. In my last reply to you, I wrote:

By asking you to try WEC, it is only because you already are trying JEC, which is on the same “wavelenght” only a better system

It should have read:

By asking you to try WEC, it is only because you already are trying JEC, which is on the same “wavelength” only **WEC is** a better system.

Hi Paul.

Yes indeed, as you point out, embryo extracting (EE) involves a very steep uphill learning curve for newcomers to the practice.

Stating the obvious here, but ultimate continuation with the practice of EE also depends on level of operator motivation as well as very good operator sensory-motor skills. So for example someone with poor fine-motor-control of their hands will have a near impossible time taking to EE, compared to someone else who is lucky to posses excellent fine-motor-control.

Of course, by saying this, I am not passing comment about your level of skill (which sounds like any usual normal intital frustrating experience with EE, like I had a long time ago!).

My problems stem from just getting old. The eyes aren’t what they used to be so I may need a better magnifying glass to help see what I’m doing. And I’ll need to find a better place to do the EE because the chair I was in hurts my back but the lighting is good. Then I’ll need to learn patience, because I don

Yep I totally understand, Paul.

For me, EE + EC has definitely been much more fun to do on the small scale, like on random achenes that I have wanted to germinate real fast, whenever the need arose…or in researching stuff about embryos…it is like it satisfies some “instant gratification” cravings in relation to rose breeding.

I can see how some people could actually get hooked on EC, (just as is possible in other aspects of roses).

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone in the USA)! and to our rose friends outside the USA, wishing you happiness also.

This is in reply to Simon’s playing Devil’s Advocate( Simon, you did a thoughtful and beautiful job I must say). Thank you.

I would like to bring up one point which came to me as I read Simon’s response) the first time. I realize this is a hybridizer’s forum and certainly it is best if the roses we germinate are good future producers of even better roses.

However, I think there is nothing wrong in helping seeds to germinate if that what it takes. If the end result produces a good rose, then it is worthwhile even if that rose is a dead end for future hybridizers. The rose itself can be propagated for future generations. That particular rose may be the end of the line but think through the last hundred years or so how many good roses are essentially sterile yet are enjoyed in our gardens today by vegetative propagation.

In general, I agree with Simon’s philosophy and the statements he brought forth but if a good rose comes out of

an “assisted delivery” and is worthwhile distributing, it would still be of value to the general public, even if it could not be used for further hybridizing.

Jim

Since this thread was started by Jukka, I have now had one member email me to ask for more clarification of what steps WEC actually involves, beyond what was written at the start of this thread.

For ease of navigation, below are two links which will direct you to WEC methods being explained and demonstated in that busy “red climber” thread.

WEC - Embryo Extraction (EE) link:

Link: www.rosehybridizers.org/forum/message.php?topid=23111#23269