Danae

Jadae,

What did you cross with Danae to get strong yellows and salmon pinks? I have it and would like to repeat your crosses if I have the pollen parents. Or was it OP?

Thanks,

Jim

Pretty Lady, of all things. It’s bred from some really neon colored HT’s, though. Pretty Lady can produce almost any color with the right combinations. It’s a very odd rose being HT,Floribunda, Mini and Shrub mixture.

David, you actually inspired me to try this type of cross more than a year ago when I read an RHA newsletter article you wrote about the ability of triploid x diploid crosses to produce new diploids. I immediately thought of breeding diploid yellows, a subject that has always interested me. The cultivar I thought of was ‘Golden Glow’ (climber, Brownell, 1937). I bought one a few years back because it was heavily used by Moore, Kordes, and others as a source of yellow. It is reported to be a triploid. It is only once-blooming, but has a nice yellow color, and can breed recurrent offspring. The following family tree is from helpmefind.com:

Golden Glow (large-flowered climber, Brownell, 1937) = Glenn Dale X (Mary Wallace X Hybrid Tea)

Glenn Dale (Hybrid Wichurana, Van Fleet, 1927) = R. wichuraiana X Isabella Sprunt

Mary Wallace (Hybrid Wichurana, Van Fleet, 1924) = R. wichuraiana X Hybrid Tea

I had a hard time growing it. Any part left above ground dies back, late spring freezes kill any cane uncovered and left outdoors, and it refused to bloom for me last year when I left it in the greenhouse all winter. This year, I cold-stored it, and I am hoping for bloom. If it does bloom, the only thing I will be able to use for diploid pollen will be other things I cold stored, namely tea and Noisette roses. The latter don’t make much pollen, but I have the teas ‘Safrano,’ and its light yellow sport, ‘Isabella Sprunt,’ which is one of Golden Glow’s ancestors. I know from experience that Golden Glow is only a poor seed parent, with one or a few seeds per hip, so I won’t try any tricky pollens, but these two are quite fertile. I do have a few polyantha seedlings I might also try.

Last season, I discovered that the Lim/Bailey rose ‘Tahitian Moon’ is very male and female fertile for artificial crossing. You reported that it is triploid, so it would seem to be an excellent candidate as well. Unfortunately, I am just starting my '06 seed, so I can’t comment on germination.

Years ago, I had the idea to cross a white polyantha with a yellow China or tea type rose, produce F1 hybrids, and then interbreed them to try to produce stronger yellows. The logic was that it ought to be easier to select for a difficult trait in a diploid than in a tetraploid. I got distracted and only made 2 seedlings, both ‘The Gift’ X ‘Mutabilis.’ These have medium yellow buds, but open totally white, even in a greenhouse. I think I may give this line a try again.

Roger, I just purchased Golden Glow several weeks ago. Unfortunately, I planted it out before our weather turned cold again. Hopefully, it was still dormant and will survive.

David, getting warm colors into some old rose lines is something I’m beginning to working on. I didn’t find any fertile triploids that interested me, so I am planning to make my own. My diploids are just now big enough (2ft x 2ft)to start using as seed parents. My first choice in tetraploids to work with is “Livin Easy” due to it’s high fertility, intense colors that don’t fade much, and compact plant form.

I recently tried these, too early to know if they will take. If I get a fertile triploid with good color that I can cross down to diploid I’ll be a happy camper.

Old Blush x Livin Easy

Old Blush x Gold Medal

Marie Pavie x Livin Easy

Marie Pavie x Gold Medal

Mrs. Dudley Cross x Livin Easy

Mrs. Dudley Cross x Gold Medal

Roger,

Perhaps its a climate difference, buy Golden Glow is one of my most reliable seed producers, and nearly every seed germinates. The percentage of repeaters is about 20-25%, which is surprisingly low, and the color is not often strong, but it has a record of breeding some very Blackspot resistant offspring. And so, I continue to work with it. This year’s crop will determine whether or not I continue with it. The miniature Golden Angel has been a remarkable breeder for me, and is strongly affected by whatever pollen I put on it. Malleable is the word, I would say. I have seedlings with 5.5" wide fully double, richly scented blooms that came from Golden Angel. It is also noteworthy that Apricot Twist, bred from Golden Angel is possibly the ONLY miniature I grow that NEVER gets Blackspot in my climate, even when its neighbors are literally showing down spores on it.

Regards,

Paul

PS: Get Leonie Lamesch, David.

I had Leonie Lamesch. It was coppery yellow overlaid in coppery red. The problem with it is that the blooms are small in tiny clusters, and they dont open up all that large either. They need to be bigger, or in a larger multitude. The second problem is that the red dominates the blooms. I really should try Danae x Leonie Lamesch.

Paul, thanks for the encouraging information on ‘Golden Glow.’ Truthfully, I only tried a limited number of flowers in previous years. They were also kind of poor flowers, the only surviving buds after a bad winter, made from less vigorous growth near the base of the plant. I have noticed that some good seed patents will perform poorly with buds from weak, twiggy growth, or with flowers in later cycles of bloom. Since ‘Golden Glow’ is a once-bloomer, the last issue doesn’t apply, of course.

I especially hope it sets seed for me this year, as I pollinated about 40 blooms, more than half with ‘Safrano’ and ‘Isabella Sprunt.’ I did a few blooms each with the double tea ‘Sunset’ and the Tea Noisette 'R

I’ve had similar results to Paul’s in regard to percentage of repeat in ‘Goldbusch’ seedlings.

I did get at least one that is as close to yellow as I’ve managed to get from any Basye’s Legacy descendants.

Link: www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=49463&tab=10