Culling once flowering roses

So I have culled and culled and now it’s getting into autumn with it likely to be a very wet autumn/winter for us due to the El Nino. I have limited space to not have my roses sitting in water. I have got to the point that I don’t want to kill anymore of them as I have never seen them flower. Its hard to justify culling at this stage when I haven’t seen the final product. Anyone go through this problem?

1 Like

I make few-to-none once-blooming crosses, but I always seem to have a few “otherwise looking good” plants that don’t bloom the first year, and they get potted up with the keepers (if they have good roots beneath them), and I let Mother Nature’s penchant for attrition take its course.

Here on Vancouver Island, our winters are mild and usually VERY wet, so anything that drowns has done me a favour. Not that I deliberately let them sit in water, but it happens. If they cannot survive the mildest of winters, how tough could they be? That’s how I rationalize it anyhow.

Dusty.

3 Likes

So give them a chance to live by leaving out in waterlogged pots. I think I will cull a few more but then I’m down to about 8

1 Like

Some of the best roses ever only bloom once a year.

3 Likes

You’ve probably heard me tell this tale before, but ‘Mel’s Heritage’ never bloomed in its first year. I’d hate to think what I’d have missed if I’d thrown it out before year two.

4 Likes

What we ALL would have missed!