Compatibility Evaluation of Various Scented Rosa species thr

“Abstract— Rosa damascena, Rosa gallica L., Rosa centifolia L., Rosa bourboniana and Gruss an Teplitz are important species which are being used in the production of rose oil. The improvement of existing rose germplasm is necessary to sustain the public demand globally. In the present study, five genotypes including Rosa damascena, Rosa gallica L., Rosa centifolia L., Rosa bourboniana, Rosa indica and Gruss an Teplitz were crossed to check genotypic compatibility and seed setting potential under climatic conditions of Faisalabad, Pakistan. Results indicated that maximum fruit set percentage (83%) was exhibited by Gruss an Teplitz followed by Rosa indica (70.33%) and Rosa damascena (53.33%). Significant variations were recorded for time to maturity of hips, number of seeds per hip, and weight of hips in all crosses. Overall, Gruss an Teplitz and Rosa indica were proved as a better female parents yielding high values of number of hips per plant and fruit set percentage.”

See:

Moin,

It’s interessting, that ‘Gruss an Teplitz’ plays an import role in South Asia for the production of rose oil.

Does somebody know the composition of rose oil from ‘Gruss an Teplitz’?

Ahoi,

Christian

I was just thinking about how Rosa glutinosa and Rosa primula would smell if they were magically combined, but that’s for foliage… =/

It is interesting to note that ‘General Jacqueminot’, a half-sibling of ‘Gruss an Teplitz’, was found by Budd and Hansen (1893) to be particularly compatible with Rosa rugosa regeliana.

Svejda (1974) found that reciprocal crosses of Chinas and Rugosas were not equally compatible, perhaps due to cytoplasmic differences.

Rereading this article I wondered where the authors found a reblooming Rosa centifolia.

As for Rosa bourboniana, what could it be?

Hi Karl,

I wondered that about R. centifolia too. I asked Adnan years ago and he said it came with a shipment of plant materials. I forgot the details of what country it came from. I think it was a European country and may have been Bulgaria.

It would be helpful to have a better description … or a good picture. Maybe it’s something else.

Beaton (1852)

“Baronne Prevost, a true rose colour, and the largest of roses. Late in November this Baronne vies with Fulgore in deceiving you into the belief that the old cabbage-rose has turned perpetual, but he is not nearly so sweet as his rival.”

“Mr. Rivers says Riego is the sweetest of all roses, whilst I always put it down as a third-rate in that respect, and, therefore, I may be wrong about Cornet, but I could bring forward some of the first ladies in the land to back me about Fulgore”

Interesting idea, PacificJade. I’m a huge fan of fragrant foliage and I’ve crossed one of my favourite fragrant plants sweet briar/Rosa rubiginosa/eglenteria with glutinosa in an attempt to develop new notes in the foliage scent. I have a small batch of first year seedlings but it’s too early to evaluate yet if they are true hybrids and if there’s variation in foliage scent. I have no knowledge if Rosa primula crosses with either of these species, but I intend to try. Anyone tried? Also, I recently bought Lord Penzance and will try to mix it in, hoping that it has retained some of the genes that give the citrus-like scent to the foliage of it’s ancestor Rosa foetida.

Bw,
Jukka
Helsinki, Finland