Classes that, in your experience, don't play well together?

The post on Downy Mildew, and the comment pertaining to rugosa hybrids reminds me of a conversation I had with Kim years ago on the different methods roses had of protecting themselves from disease. One (or both?) of us conjectured, for instance, that some roses might shed disease quickly through leaf drop (the desert species come to mind) some have resistant cuticles (evergreen roses, for example), and some have slick surfaces that shed stuff (wet-climate roses?), etc., and that selecting inappropriate parents with incompatible strategies might “dilute” the differing strategies of each parent rather than build on them, and thus create babies with more susceptibilities.

Rugosas, for instance, as a species are very healthy, but when mixed with i.e. china or tea derivatives, seem to acquire greater susceptibility to BS, it seems, even if the other parent was quite disease-tolerant. (That’s based on my very limited observations, and others may correct me on that assertion.) I used to think of the wichurana-derivatives as the ultimate in disease-resistance, and believed it because of the glossy, slick, spore-shedding surface. I used to wonder why the rugosa, with its heavily etched leaves always looked so clean when I saw it.

I’m wondering if, in your experience/observations, you feel there are some combinations that generally reinforce resistance of the two parents, or if you know of some that clearly dilute them, and if you could theorize as to why. (I’m speaking broadly in terms of classes or groups of roses, or of species derivatives, and not individual cultivars.)

Thanks

Hi Philip,

I don’t actually do any hybridizing yet - just at the point of learning and getting really fascinated by it all - but I do have an agriculture degree and some experience in a plant pathology lab (for whatever that’s worth :slight_smile:). So your questions piqued my interest.

I’d say your questions are relevant to host-pathogen interaction and, as you point out in your post, its useful to know something of the mechanisms each use to try to infect/fight off infection. But I’d say the incompatibility question has more to do with not knowing the inheritance of the protective mechanisms - many genes, several genes, one gene acting in that biological response? From what I read about breeding, it’s much harder to get many genes inherited together and takes many more progeny so the plants segregate in a way where you’re actually stacking the best of both plants - and some progeny will actually be worse than each parent because you’ve disrupted the full package of genes they need for the bio response. So is that what you mean by incompatible maybe? If so, the good news is it’s not impossible, probably just very resource intensive because you’d have to produce and test a lot of plants before you get one with all the right protective mechanisms and all the genes involved (that whole horizontal resistance thing!).

Maybe someone can suggest a good resource on the different bio responses that roses have in that host-pathogen interaction (for BS)? And any info on the inheritance of such may also help answer your questions.

I realize I didn’t answer any of your questions, just theorizing on the why!

Best,

Amy

I appreciate your thoughts, Amy.

My recollection of my biology studies is not that great – it’s been many years – and I’m sure there have been a lot of advancements in our understanding of the complexities of genetics since then.

My views are perhaps a bit simplistic. I really have no understanding of the mechanisms and responses of dealing with disease, certainly not at a genetic / microbiological level. Any insights you have or speculations you might share are appreciated.

I frequently scratch my head when I look at the pedigrees of some rather healthy roses, and wonder how the stars could have possibly aligned to create a great rose given its heritage. Obviously, a lot of it is a crap shoot, and I’m of the opinion that most of us would have to cross 100,000 crosses before we would get that one plant, or for that matter, have the knowledge to be able to recognize it…

So, papers on the different bio responses would also be interesting, (though perhaps a bit deep for me to wade into!)

Thanks, Amy, actually you did provide a bit of possible insight into why some of these apparent incompatabilities occur. It is VERY frustrating crossing two roses which don’t usually suffer from fungal infections in my climate only to raise a population of diseased seedlings. Foetida is healthy here, but many early hybrids with it are severely afflicted by black spot. Quite a few of the Rugosa and Bracteata hybrids Ralph Moore created suffer from severe rust, while none of the roses which created them are afflicted by it.

How it impressed me was “confused signals”. Short lived, deciduous foliage which is meant to be pushed early, used up quickly and shed before fungal issues are encountered, conflicting with instructions inherited from ever green, long season types which are slowly created, matured, slowly used and held for lengthy seasons, resulting in plants which quickly push leaves, use them up then refuse to shed the geriatric leaves until they are killed off by black spot or rust.

I agree about the different methods of disease resistance being diluted in crosses. This is a very good reason to backcross to one or the other resistant parent, or cross among seedlings of different crosses involving one parent, in order to reinforce that species’ particular method of disease resistance.

For example, one might cross the various Wichuraiana/Luciae hybrids with dwarf polyanthas to recover rebloom, but it might be better to choose one, e.g., ‘Yvonne Rabier’, that has Wichuraiana as a recent ancestor.

Even ‘New Dawn’ can come down with a nasty case of mildew in some climates (e.g., Santa Clara, CA). To build a better ‘New Dawn’ one might cross one of the diploid Wichuraiana/Luciae hybrids (take your pick) with one of the Brownell “Sub-zero Roses”. Maybe ‘Francois Foucard’ x ‘Lily Pons’, or ‘Francois Juranville’ x ‘Shades of Autumn’. Wichuraiana/Luciae ancestry on both sides of the family tree should reinforce the ancestral resistance.

BTW, the rough and glaucous leaves of ‘Asta von Parpart’ seem to be healthier than many glossy types, at least in San Jose.

As for long-lived and short-lived leaves, heres an article that sheds some light on the subject.

HortScience [38(1):71-74. 2003]

Changes in Mineral Nutrient Concentrations in Petunia Corollas during Development and Senescence

Sven Verlinden

Division of Plant and Soil Sciences, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV 26505

“Abstract: To observe changes in the nutritional status of corollas during development and senescence, Petunia x_hybrida_ cv. Mitchell corollas were analyzed for macronutrient and micronutrient content, dry weight, fresh weight, and ethylene production. Carbon content decreased at slightly lower rates than dry weight during corolla development between anthesis and senescence, while fresh weight and ethylene production followed patterns expected of climacteric flowers. Nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium content declined during development. Both phosphorus and potassium content gradually declined throughout development with overall losses of about 75% and 40%, respectively. Nitrogen content declined 50% during development but losses occurred only during the final stages of senescence. No significant changes were observed in sulfur, calcium, magnesium, and micronutrient content of the corollas during development. Most elements were present in much lower concentrations in corollas than in leaves. The concentrations of calcium, magnesium, and manganese were about 1-, 5- and 15-fold lower in corollas than in leaves, respectively. Results indicate that remobilization of selected macronutrients from corollas occurred before and during senescence. Taken together with the presence of low concentrations of macronutrients, my data support the contention that petunia corollas are nutritionally inexpensive and therefore easily disposable organs.”

The leaves of Rosa foetida are built to last 3 or 4 months. I assume that they are then dropped in time to avoid the summer drought. Other species have leaves that are built to last several months or even more than a year. Hybrids between an evergreen (or nearly) species with Foetida would be neither here nor there. They would probably receive a half-measure of nourishment combined with an unwillingness to shed leaves when the nutrients are used up. The result would be an inability to combat fungal infections late in the season.

I once saw a demonstration of this: I had an African Violet blooming in a terrarium on my desk at work. As soon as the petals passed their prime, they were attacked by a fungus. I considered removing the plant to protect it from the assault, but the experimenter in me left it to fend for itself. Which it did. The fungus did not spread onto the leaves or any other part of the plant.

Karl

I have these Wichurana Hybrid seedlings , they are all about to be given the flick very bad PM.

Warren, can I have them for what they have cost you and postage please

Here’s a cross that you probably shouldn’t do…unless you want a lot of Powdery Mildew problems!

Old Blush x Red Fairy. We did 115 pollinations and 91 set. From those 91 hips, we got 1035 seeds. With almost 50% germination, we got the following flats of seedlings:

[attachment 1550 PMsm.jpg]

This the worst case of Powdery Mildew I’ve ever seen. It’s so bad, that I’m going to have to spray the seedling to keep them alive! And the only reason I’m going to do that is because the cross was made for one of our graduate students genetic studies (because, trust me, if they were done for any other reason I’d throw them all out)!

I just had a flashback to New Orleans:

Eating beignets at the Cafe’ du Monde, all covered in powdered sugar

sigh Thanks for taking me home, Natalie.

(Geesh! That’s bad.)

Hi Nat

I would plant these seedlings out asap. Some progenies like Old Blush or Banksiae ones are very PM prone as young flat grown in greenhouse and in a few monthes no more than parent when bigger and outside.

[quote=Warren]

I have these Wichurana Hybrid seedlings , they are all about to be given the flick very bad PM.[/quote]

Warren,

That’s why I suggested using Brownell’s resistant varieties that are derived (at some distance) from Rosa wichuraiana. With wichuraiana-resistance coming in from both parents, there should no dilution of that resistance. Brownell also “bred out” Wichuraiana’s fondness for growing at low temperatures.

Karl