chromosome halfing technique announcement

This “announcement” does not contain the details of the technique.

See:

Link: www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2010-03/uoc–cdl032210.php

As I see it, this technique will involve a genetic modification. See: “Ravi had prepared a modified version of CENH3 tagged with a fluorescent protein, and was trying to breed the genetically modified plants with regular Arabidopsis” and “Once the haploid-inducing lines are created, the technique is easy to use”.

This unfortunatelly means, that it might become a marvelous tool for profesional and big breeders but will hardly be available for the normal hobby breeder or to small crops.

In europe it might be used at the university or company level in contained use labs or greenhouses, once the haploid-inducing lines are available.

The very good thing with the technique might be that the resulting haploids are most probably not genetically modified, since they get only chromosoms from the line of interest. (There wouldn

I had tried anther culture, but was no more successful than others who published, see:

http://home.roadrunner.com/~kuska/mytissueculture.htm

My page is out of date, I am no longer interested in this area as we are downsizing in expectation of moving into a “late retirement” single level residence.

Link: home.roadrunner.com/~kuska/mytissueculture.htm

One thing that I have done in Iris is cross tetraploid Siberians with diploid I. setosa. One gets a seedling that is allotriploid. These plants are very infertile but will cross with diploid Siberians. The two sets of Siberian chromosomes act like a diploid and the I. setosa chrom. just float around. I found this technic where it was relayed only indirectly when E. R. Sears did the first genetic engeneering in 1956.

perhaps this could be done with roses with R. persica and HTs…

Thanks for posting the article Henry.

I’m toying with trying anther culture again this summer. A number of years ago Corinne Radatz and I tried silver nitrate in the medium to bind ethylene receptor sites to try to avoid senesence of anthers. We got the idea from a regeneration protocol that was optimized to get adventitious shoots from leaf tissue thinking that may help regnerate plants from callus from anthers. We were able to get callus formation and silver nitrate did help promote better callus growth (more anthers made callus amd better growth of the callus at hand). Some papers report not being able to replicate even getting callus like one group of authors did and not being able to replicate their work. I’m excited we got callus and silver nitrate helped. Maybe I’ll try to get callus again with silver nitrate and then use some of the latest medias and protocols for embryogenesis and see what happens. To start with to see if it can work I’ll try to focus on roses like 'Rise ‘N Shine’ and ‘Dorcas’ that I have obtained haploids from, from screening twin embryos. They seem to potentially have less genetic load and potentially may be easier to obtain viable haploids from. The smaller twins in these sets are likely synergids and should have the same genetic constitution as the unfertilized egg and the larger embryo is from the fertilized egg.

I love your idea Johannes to use traditional crossing to go back down bring genes and characteristics from the 4x parent to the 2x descendant. That is what Debener’s predicessor did crossing 2x Rosa multiflora descendants with 4x roses and then open pollinating those triploid roses and selecting out some 2x roses. That is the background of the parental stock that Debener has been using in much of his research over the years. I obtained some diploids from crosses of diploid and triploid roses and op triploid seed such as a diploid out of op seed of the triploid ‘Nearly Wild’. Most were also triploid though or tetraploid.

Sincerely,

David

Henry I have toyed with the idea of making crosses with sterilized pollen of tetraploids and use it with tetraploids. Do you think this has the possibility of working. i think I read it some where dealing with vegetables. I still have got to try it and not just think about it. If I actually do it I also got to figure out the best way to sterilize the pollen.

Adam, see:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/anacuy5fenmal9b1/

Long ago I was planning on trying it with microwaved pollen. Another of those “should have done” items.

Link: www.springerlink.com/content/anacuy5fenmal9b1/

So how long do you think you would have to microwave the pollen. I was thinking about using a UV light the kind they use for fish tank subpump tubes to kill algea. Microwaving would be a lot safer.