Captain Thomas? Sunny June?

I have a mystery rose that I’ve been assuming was Sunny June, but it might be Captain Thomas. It sets fabulous huge hips easily and I have a few hips perculating on it with crosses I’ve made. It seems completely mildew free. Can anyone tell me which one I have? Pictures at the link. Thanks for your help.

Link: albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4061329&a=30720988&pw=

Looks like Captain Thomas to me. My C.T. fades rather quickly from the color in your photos to a very light yellow. I’ve heard C.T. seeds are quite slow to germinate at times. Sunny June has never set a hip here for me. Thanks, Robert

Thanks, that’s very helpful. Yes, mine does fade quickly too. I didn’t think it looked a lot like Sunny June because of the petal shape, but I’ve never seen either of them in person - only on the net. Good to know about the seed germination too.

Robert, do you have a picture of your Captain Thomas?

It looks like Captain Thomas to me, SunQueen. I don’t have a photo of mine yet, as it’s new, but from what I’ve seen, your photos fit the bill.

It looks like Captain Thomas to me, SunQueen. I don’t have a photo of mine yet, as it’s new, but from what I’ve seen, your photos fit the bill.

Thanks Cliff, and welcome!

Hi Sun, here are couple of photos of my Captain Thomas. Not the best photos, but I think you can see the similarity. Incidentally I originally got this variety to use as a seed parent. I haven’t worked with it yet but it sets large OP hips quite easily. The hips remain green for a very long time. Apparently the seeds are slow to germinate due to having an unusually thick and tough seedcoat, a characteristic apparently passed down to the Captain’s offspring, ‘Golden Showers’. I’ve read some interesting information on this subject passed on from Peter Harris. Also see the link to ‘Sunny June’ for comparison. The Captain’s petals are narrower.Thanks, Robert

Link: www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=964

Robert, I have seen these pictures before, but my “Captain Thomas” petals seem thinner, so I wasn’t sure if that was it. Perhaps it’s because it’s in a 3 gallon pot. In anycase, you sure are right about the hips. They’re huge and set quite easily!