Can R. nitida be nade to flower in central Texas?

On a trip to Maine about a decade ago, I collected some hips from a wild rose i later identified as the shining rose. When I finally got around to planting them a few years later, I had remarkable germination, but all but one seedling withered and died that summer. The survivor was so much healthier and more vigorous I initially assumed I had an errant seed from the Fendler’s woodsii I had collected on another trip and planted that same winter, and the nitida being more vigorous, I let all of my woodsii progeny go. (Oops…)

Anyhoo, after a year, the nitida acquired the characteristic sheen of its foliage, and straight, bristly prickles of a the species. It has survived a few really brutal summers here in the filtered light of my backyard, but I don’t know how excited i should be…

What is the mechanism that determines nitida’s blooming? I assume there is a reason its range is limited to colder climates, and wonder if there is any hope for a blossom.

Try dumping ice around its roots several times over winter. It’s what I had to do to get Charles de Mills to flower in Los Angeles and it’s what you have to do to many of the French lilacs in warmer areas. You refrigerate tulips and other cold-loving bulbs to encourage them to flower. I froze paper milk cartons full of water then just put them by the base of the plant several times over winter and the dumb thing flowered. Not a lot, but it gave blooms where it normally just ate the yard and rusted.

Good luck, at the opposite temperature pole l was grateful to get one (1) bloom after 9 years … crossed it but failed to germinate

Well, that’s not encouraging…

The hybrid nitida, “Metis” (x Therese Bugnet) by Bert Harp does well in my zone 4A with good once only bloom. Not always tip hardy.

Leaves actually show “nitida” color, lustre and form.