Can anyone tell me about Plaisanterie by Lens?

To keep on about hybridizing polyanthas, I was thinking of using Plaisanterie as a china/multiflora influence. Any opinions on this rose? aAre there any other Lens roses that would be useful? I know Jadae mentioned Rush and Bukavu.

Thanks

Mike

Lens created an amazing number of creative diploid hybrids, any number of which should be excellent from creating new polyanthas.

Plaisanterie get large but I think it would be an excellent choice. I would think you could bring the size down fairly easily.

It’s been around since 2006 which makes me wonder why it has no recorded descendants.

I think Lens is one of the great hybridizers of the last century. He did an amazing amount of groundwork.

I havent seen any bad Len’s hybrids, to be honest. I think you have to watch out for the once-bloomers, though, if youre not interested in that angle of work. He has some fertile purpple hybrids, too.

Mike,

If you don’t read french or Dutch, here is a (poor) translation of the description from the Lens nurseries.

The variety is a cross of Trier by R. chinensis mutabilis. The name Plaisanterie (meaning

btw, there are three of these cultivars from Lens with identical parentage. So, if one doesnt work…

4 at least:

Plaisanterie

Patricia Beucher

Apricot bells

Souvenir de Rose-Marie.

Is there one North American seller who specializes in the Lens hybrids?

I think I remember when Hortico brought them in and had them towards the end of the H catalog as numbers rather than names (talk about a leap of faith in buying a numbered rose).

If you look on HMF, the majority of them are only available in Europe. Mostly from the Lens nursery themselves.