Bristly hips

I was looking at the listing for ‘R3LR’ (Rugosa #3

Could it be from Rosa setigera. Because the parentage of Rugosa #3 says at the bottom of the page it could be op Therese Bauer instead of jens munk. And Rosa setigera can have hairs on the buds and hips and I think when you mix the lightly moss like trait with a rugosa it could come out more bristly.

Adam,

Thank you for that tip. I went and looked at R. setigera and saw the picture on HMF of the buds that shows hairs on the bud and hips as you wrote. Your comment that mixing the light moss trait with a rugosa could make it more bristly seems very logical.

This might point more in the direction of Therese Bauer as the induced parent rather than Jens Munk. Thanks again!

Rob

Link: www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.70927

I have collected cuttings from three local wild roses- and took pictures of them also this year. I believe them all to be variations of setigera. I am fascinated by the varying range of ‘looks’/traits of them.

Just something fun- I’ve been meaning to dump them somewhere.

Link: s102.photobucket.com/albums/m85/tncamellia/setigera/

Some of the pics make it look like brambleberry.

Rob,

I think Adam’s got a good point there. When you go mixing species, sometimes a minor trait of one species becomes magnified by the influence of genes from another species.

One of the bracteata X (rugosa x palustris) seedlings I grow has hips covered in prickly bristles - you really need to use leather gloves to handle them. Neither bracteata nor the F1 (rugosa x palustris) were this prickly. Both palustris and the F1 (rugosa x palustris) express a few hip bristles but only in an occassional scattered way. So, something in the bracteata and rugosa part of this seedlings ancestry has amplified the palustris bristles to the point of being almost like a chestnut burr.

Thanks for the information re: your seedling. The answers I’ve gotten here make so much sense. I wonder what the appeal would be for selecting for bristly hips…probably not much I bet.

Now, you need to add Stellata mirifica to really stiffen those hips bristles!

Link: www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.154996

Bristles?? Those are thorns! lol

Actually, yes, they are! The do penetrate gloves and fingers quite well. I’ve been fascinated by Hesperhodos for a very long time and am determined to get it bred into “roses”. Now, to find Lens’ Pink Mystery, again. He sent it to me years ago and though I spread it around, we seem to have lost it here. That is a NEAT rose!

Link: www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.31968

The bloom on that one is great. It looks huge.

again! They’re actually larger than Stellata and it flowered spring through fall with no issues other than the root stock dying under it. The Lens nursery included it in a large shipment many years ago as a “thank you” for literal garbage bags full of cuttings I sent Mr. Lens via a friend who had family flying privileges and visited her grandchildren in Belgium several times a year. He wanted things like Stellata and Minutifolia, so I sent him suckers and other pieces of those and literally a couple of hundred other things. It was GREAT fun! (Yep, the "enabler from Hell!) All of the others are still commercially available from several sources, but this one has lost its way. I would LOVE to get it

My gf laughed at the title. Thanks guys, she already thinks Im nuts :stuck_out_tongue: I told her it beats midwestern cornfed hips, lol. I guess bristly hips are what underfed models have, eh?

Pink Mystery is confusing to me. But I do think that there would be a market for a xeriscape desert rose. I really do, and I think it was be successful for its markets – bristly hips or none, lol.

I hope someone somewhere has Pink Mystery…from the description it seems to have a lot to offer. It would be a shame if it was extinct.

Unfortnuately, it isn’t on the Lens site this year…

Link: www.lens-roses.be/html/home.dhtml?source=presentatie,from=homepage,language=E