Breeding hardy yellow Climbers

Henry’s Rugelda x R15 blossomed for the first time this season yesterday.

I have one seedling from last years effort struggling to hold onto life.

I’ve got some new seed parents to try it on. I will have quite a few more blossoms to experiment with and the Mother plant is gaining vigor. I’ve got my fingers crossed!

I love the color and contrasting stamens.

Robert, those are just beautiful. Excellent work.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick, but the credit goes to Henry for creating such an beautiful seedling and his generosity in sharing it.

Peter of course created R15 which with any luck will be the ancestor of a great many hardy offspring.

I encourage everyone to become proficient at budding. It’s a great tool.

Here is the seed parent I used the pollen on yesterday. I collected OP hips this Fall. Seed production looks good. It also creates a lot of pollen.

Foliage is apple scented.

Henry and Peter, that is a great looking rose! Robert, that is a great looking photo and I think a great choice as a seed parent for it. I may have to look into trying to get Rugelda x R15 across the border. How does it fair rooting wise?

Liz

Liz, unfortunately, to my knowledge, neither R15 nor Rugelda X R15 have been successfully propagated by ordinary rooting methods. I think I have 2 layered “starts” of Rugelda X R15 but I have been too “chicken” to sever them from the mother plant.

I got cuttings of R15 from Peter Harris last summer and rooted them as normal semi-hardwood cuttings. They took a longer time to root than most roses, but eventually most of them did root and that is what I was able to distribute last fall. Being able to use the mist bench on campus and just having them in there an extra long time seemed to help a lot. I’m glad to have been able to help get Peter’s rose out to more people to utilize.

Sincerely,

David

What an incredible yellow rose! Is it a once-bloomer or does it repeat? Is the growth habit as attractive?

Henry, how many seeds did you sow to get lucky with this rose? Are there other nice seedlings you obtained from this cross as well?

My R15 hybrid is easy to propagate, but definitely not yellow! (violet-purple). There are several seedlings of it (Rosa acicularis x R15 (bred by Henry) x {Baby Love, Rabble Rouser, Golden Wings, Hot Cocoa mixed pollen}

If I didnt bloom so early, I would have had a more diverse selection of pollen to try :frowning: This year I am going to use it as a pollen parent.

Dee, regarding your questions.

I started hybridizing roses in about 1973, but I really did not get into it “big time” until retirement in 1993.

Rugelda X R15 on its own roots it is a once bloomer. Peter and Robert have it on understock. It will be interesting to see if there are any differences.

The picture of its size is at: http://home.neo.rr.com/kuska/RugeldaXR-15%20seedling.htm

I have 2 other “sisters” of the climber (all from the same year - 2000). One is of bush form, it gets a little blackspot and the yellow flowers are not as well formed. It also is a spring only bloomer. The second plant is about a foot tall and has never flowered.

I have a number of crosses with R15 and with Rugelda X R15. Some are repeat blooming. Pictures of them can be reached from: http://home.neo.rr.com/kuska/seedlingpage1.htm

Or by doing a search of the RHA Forum.

Link: home.neo.rr.com/kuska/RugeldaXR-15%20seedling.htm

My Rugelda x R15 is budded to a china wichurana hybrid that I had rooted when I received Henry’s budwood.

So far my specimen is about 5’ tall after one year. I have it trained to a post.

It blossoms very well, but only once.

Is ‘Henry’s Blend’, R. acicularis x R15?

Yeah, it is, Robert.

It will be carried by Forest Farm in a few years, too. So anyone that wants to use it in breeding will have access to it. They send nice plants at an economical rate, so I was happy that they would carry it. Henry will get one, too, as soon as his locale is warmer.

I wonder what the zone cold tolerance for Henry’s Blend will be?

Acicularis blew very very quickly here. How do the blossoms of HB hold up?

Thanks, Robert

The held up fine, but it is super humid and cool in the spring here, so…

The hardiness will likely be better than Rosa virginiana, which is planted right next to it and nearly identical in size. R. v. had minor tip damage (2 to 4 inches of the skinny tips) when we had some horrible winter weather snap (the kind that cause floods, which also happened lol) here whereas Henry’s Blend did not have any.

The subject of this thread seems to have changed, and I would like to return to the original briefly.

I did not see anyone refer to roses of r. setigera lineage for hardy climbers. Admittedly, I did not read the entire thread in great depth, but I’m suprised by Setigera’s lack of mention.

I think that this species offers great potential. Descendants frequently have very attractive cabbagey blooms, fragrance is typically excellent, hardiness is excellent as is disease-resistance, and the descendants are generally climbers.

Doubloons is the only cross I know of with a yellow – if r. foetida bicolor counts as a yellow – and of course r.f. is not remontant, nor healthy. Nonetheless, Doubloons has occassional repeat and coppery/gold flowers, and is cultivatable where foetida wouldn’t be.

I have really wanted to see a good cross with a good remontant yellow done on r. setigera. I do not consider foetida to be a good yellow at all…

I feel this would be a excellent route for a wonderful, hardy, yellow climber.

-Philip

I was spreading Rugelda x R15 pollen today. I’m trying it on a variety of seed parents trying to get remontancy in the next generation.

Do we know what percentage of seedlings repeat using this cultivar’s pollen with repeat blooming seed parents?

Henry, do you have any repeat blooming offspring?

Thanks, Robert

Robert at my web site http://picasaweb.google.com/HAKuska/HenrySRoses

use your search command for 570.

You will find that this cross of Prairie Harvest X (Rugelda X R15) flowered 3 times during last summer.

Also see the following thread:

http://www.rosehybridizers.org/forum/message.php?topid=12094#12264

Link: www.rosehybridizers.org/forum/message.php?topid=12094#12264

Nice looking seedling and it is good to see some hope of repeat blooming coming out of the cross. I was actually thinking of crossing it to Prairie Harvest as well. Cal Poly and Morden Sunrise were the other 2 on the list.

Liz

Great Henry. Sorry I had forgotten. Prairie Harvest is one I am using so I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

I agree Liz those are some nice seedlings. I’ll bet Henry is getting near something commercial with these. I wish my ‘Cal Poly’ were flowering. I have to use what I’ve got to work with right now. I never bother to store pollen.

Phillip, there are scads of setigera descendants through ‘Doubloons’ and it’s offspring ‘Goldilocks’. I agree it might be a good thought to go back and revisit ‘Doubloons’ now that we have some healthier alternatives for hybridization.