Breeding a rose similar to Juliet rose

Hello everybody,

I have been fascinated with the beauty of Juliet rose (ausjameson), and even though I know it is bred as a florists rose ( maybe not so healthy as a garden rose) I would like to try breeding something that comes near this rose in form, petal thickness, flower size, habit, petal count and overall appearance. Scent is not so important. Any color would be fine.
The only rose that I know, which in my opinion, comes close to Juliet rose in many aspects, is The lady gardener.
I am completely new in rose breeding and would be grateful to get some insights and knowledge about this rose or roses with the same characteristics.

I really like the idea of getting a rose with more than 100 thick petals and a very symmetric distribution of petals, just like Juliet.

1 Like

My experience with highly petaled flowers is that they ball and rot in rainy climates. I’ve had a few that look magnificent as protected indoor seedlings, but would never even get the chance to open outdoors. I would conjecture that this fact is likely the reason Juliet is classed a florist’s rose.

2 Likes

That form was common prior to our unnatural selection for the high-centered HT form over a century ago. Raising types with an OGR shape is not difficult nor does it require using an Austin rose. This is one I raised from Blue for You crossed with my FIAPMC. 'FIAPMC' Rose.
blue for you x FIAPMC (1)
blue for you x FIAPMC (4)
blue for you x fiapmc (10)
blue for you x fiapmc (11)
blue for you x fiapmc (15)

You want a Premium Membership to Help Me Find-Roses https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/index.php (ONLY $24 a year) so you can research all known, listed parentage information so you can see what resulted in the traits you desire and gain a feeling for what you may wish to use to create the bloom you desire.

6 Likes

Yes, fuller, more heavily petaled flowers do suffer from wet conditions, but perhaps Juliet’s being rated as possessing a “mild Tea scent” may have something to do with its use as florist rose. Scent requires the bloom be chemically active, heating the oils and alcohols in the petioles to express the scent. That causes the petals to deteriorate faster than those in flowers with heavier cuticles or otherwise lacking the scent elements, so they fall faster. For florist or exhibition work, you want a more durable, longer lasting petal and lack of scent helps deliver that. Yes, some “florist” roses possess high levels of scent, but those types don’t have AS long a vase life as the types without it. A major complaint about heavily scented Austin types are their shorter vase life. So, lack of that heavy scent may be a “tell”.

4 Likes

Thank you, Lee_hull, You are right. I have some highly petaled roses in the garden and they all suffer under the rain. I understand that many of the florists roses are cultivated under controlled environments, but it would be nice to try anyway, even if I had to keep my roses under the roof.

2 Likes

Thank you, Roseseek.

It is nice to know that it would be easier for me to achieve an OGR type of flower. And thanks for the photos of your beautiful roses! It is incredible that so different roses can give such a gorgeous result.

They have the characteristics that I am looking for in a rose. I am trying some crosses with very old roses (having the characteristics mentioned on my post, specially petal thickness) and I am very excited to see what it will bring.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing Kim…that’s an amazing result which we wouldn’t expect from this cross. These are the chance results that make this crazy hobby so enchanting. Or did you have others from the same cross with that many petals?

2 Likes

I’m glad you enjoyed it. This was the only seedling I retained from the cross. The others didn’t sufficiently impress me for whatever reason. When you raise too many, you have to become ruthless.

1 Like