Book: Endemic Plants of the Altai Mountain Country

Has anyone read this book and can comment on whether it describes (photos) any endemic roses in any detail ? I can’t locate a source that allows preview before purchase (on-line). It seem the odd rock hardy rose (Yellow Altai - that I think I have etc.) in my area comes from this region or believed to be related to original roses coming form the Altai Mountain region.

Let you know if in content or a coffee table book.

Riku

Riku,

Apparently it does not mention any roses.

I found the table of contents here: Endemic plants of the Altai mountain country (Old Basing, 2008). - ОГЛАВЛЕНИЕ / CONTENTS

Peter

Thanks Peter - oh well my gardens are not completely mono-culture, and as such I might find something of use as general conversation knowledge … kind of doubt I will be going to the region for a plant/seed hunting vacation.

Not quite zip … but close… a passing 2 word mention of “Rosa oxyacantha Bieb.” described as small shrub flower pink bloom june-july 100-200cm … no photo …not the yellow I hoped for… dead end ?

from efloras not the book

Rosa oxyacantha Marschall von Bieberstein, Fl. Taur.-Caucas. 3: 338. 1819.

尖刺蔷薇 jian ci qiang wei

Rosa pimpinellifolia Linnaeus var. subalpina Bunge ex Marschall von Bieberstein.

Shrubs small, 1–2 m tall. Branchlets red-brown, glabrous; prickles numerous, yellowish, straight, unequally long and thick, abruptly tapering to broadened base. Leaves including petiole 4–9 cm; stipules mostly adnate to petiole, free parts lanceolate, margin entire, glandular-pubescent, apex acute; rachis and petiole sparsely shortly prickly, glandular-pubescent; leaflets 7–9, oblong or elliptic, 1.5–2.5 × 0.8–1.7 cm, glabrous, abaxially with prominent veins, base subrounded or broadly cuneate, margin doubly serrate, apex acute or rounded-obtuse. Flowers solitary, rarely 2 or 3 and fasciculate, 2.5–3 cm in diam.; pedicel 1.5–2 cm, glabrous or glandular-pubescent; bracts ovate, margin glandular-pubescent, apex long caudate. Hypanthium ovoid or oblong, glabrous or sparsely stipitate glandular. Sepals 5, lanceolate, leaflike, abaxially densely glandular-pubescent, adaxially densely pubescent, margin entire. Petals 5, pink, obovate, base broadly cuneate, apex emarginate. Styles shorter than stamens, pubescent. Hip bright-red, oblong or ovoid, 1–1.5 cm in diam., glabrous or sparsely stipitate glandular, with persistent, erect sepals. Fl. Jun–Jul, fr. Jul–Sep.

FYI, ‘Yellow Altai’ (Wright) was bred from the white-flowered Rosa altaica pollinated by either ‘Harison’s Yellow’ or ‘Persian Yellow’.

Karl

Thanks …

Under my belief which maybe wrong of “or believed to be related to original roses coming form the Altai Mountains” do you know if this (white) Rosa altaica is from the region, or is the closeness of the 1st syllable spelling just coincidental ?

As I search I notice “a pink seedling” of potential "Atai is found in Erskine’s garden … maybe the Russian rose above misnamed ? (how rumours start … sorry).

M. Schowalter wrote on on HMF (photo included)

Pink Altai, Crop Diversification Centre South, Brooks Alberta Canada Rose Garden 2007. I am not certain if this is a seedling or a color variant of Altaica. It has the same growth characteristic. According to W. Schowalter notes it was 7’ tall in 1980 at Brooks. His notes indicate he had it growing at his farm in 1965. It is labeled “Pink Altai” at Devonian Botanic Garden and “Pink Altai (seedling)” at Brooks. It is also growing in the late Robert Erskine’s old rose garden (2007). The flower is 5 petal, 3", pink, flattened.

Thanks again