bi-color trait-- how does it pass

Rose genetics, I wonder if there will be a day when it can be explained simplified. Got to thinking when I was looking at a pic of a seedling I had of Abe Darby x Double Delight. It was a semi double thing, with a strong vanilla like fragrance that was similar to Betty Boop, except with an extra row of petals and a thicker red edge. No color change, but it was a bicolor. And I got to thinking, how does bi-colorism pass on the offspring?

I remember reading something about the bi-color trait is an incomplete domaniance of two genes. You know, a pink flower from a red and white flower. If you self that pink flower, you get either red or white, with very minimal chance of pink.

Now if bi-colorism is an incomplete domaninant trait, why does it pass on to the next generation?

I think that working with roses has been very brain wrinkling work. It may be worth it to self a rose for several generations until it breeds true, and study how it passes on traits. It may be intresting to self roses for several generations for special traits such as thornlessness, yellow pigmentation, fragrance, and see how does those inbreed pure breeding roses pass on traits.

Good question.

Lammerts in his 1945 American Rose Annual article suggests that the bicolor trait in terms of different colors on different sides of petals is recessive. Your question regards a definition of bicolor that is not the same as Lammerts and seems much more complex since it involves environmental interaction with light (UV in particular) and expression of anthocyanin in differing parts of the petals.

David

Ah, I’ve bought a many good amount of those annuals. Usually I buy them less for 3 dollars a piece when I find the oppurtunity. I will get that annual when I see it at a bargain price.

Has there been a compilation of these annuals? Many of those articles are gold.

I’ve typed retyped (I have no OCR programs, and no more scanner) a few of the articles, most of Dr. Basye’s writtings. Can’t let those die out.

Enrique

Enrique,

The article David refered to is available in the breeding section on Karl King’s web site; see URL below.

Paul

Link: www.geocities.com/kingke.geo/Roses/LAM_YEL.HTM

Please read my article :

“The Sports of Glowing Amber” on my Web Sites’articles page.

I have carried the “BICOLOR” through five (5) generations.

At the moment,(for 1 1/2 years now)I am working on another sport of ‘Glowing Amber’, trying to isolate it.

About 25 % of my seedlings came out “Bicolors”

Here is a direct link :

http://www3.telus.net/georgemander/articles/sports.html

George Mander

Did not put the “Articles Link” into the right place.

It should work now.

George

Link: www3.telus.net/georgemander/articles/sports.html