Anyone have a clue what this could be?

It’s on a seedling of Route 66.

[attachment 1256 SM_3549.JPG]

Stem crud? Some roses just look cruddy at different times of the year. Take a look at Spinosissima stems much of the year. Otherwise, I dunno.

So that’s the official diagnosis? You don’t think it’s a disease? God, I hope you’re right. It’s too important a seedling to lose. Do you have a picture of the ‘stem crud’ on Spinosissima?

I’m sorry, I don’t, but it’s a rather well known “malady”.

Judy,

Stem crud is an increasingly serious problem. At present we know of at least 31 races of stem crud, and the only effective treatment is spray paint or spray lacquer. Many of these treatments are not aesthetically compatible with seasonal foliage on the affected rose plants. Some anti-aging lotions and liver-spot bleaches from cosmetic companies show promise, but for most people these lotions and bleaches are not economically affordable for treating large numbers of cruddy stems. David Zlesak may know of further research on ways to prevent the expression of the particular recessive gene that causes this, rsCrud1, but mutations may render the matter moot.

Peter

Peter, might you also have research indicating the most effective method of removing sugary coffee from laptop keyboards? LOL! You are BAD!

Ok, Peter, now I have to plead complete ignorance on this. Is any part of what you said serious? Should I consider this a disease or just forget about it and take cuttings to send out for propagation?

He’s being a smart aleck, Judith.

Kim,

Some kinds of ants do a good job, don’t charge a lot, don’t leave tracks traceable to you on the internet, and are not phased by antivirus programs. Your local information technology dealer can recommend the kinds that work best in your area.

You are on a roll today, Peter! Seems you’re feeling good!

He need his meds.

Judy, we see this on canes a lot in the spring here. I’ve been told it’s black spot that has over wintered on the canes. Is that seedling black spot prone?

example of blackspot on a cane

Thanks, we have no black spot here in Tucson, so I highly doubt that it is blackspot.

Judy,

I can’t imagine a less hospitable place for blackspot than Tucson, unless possibly Phoenix. But we have blackspot in abundance here in SoCal all of a sudden. More AM dampness and warmer afternoons I guess. But whatever you have on that seedling, I seem to have it here also-and it seems to have led to death of several plants. I haven’t sprayed, so whatever it is it has felt free to slowly spread. So far Black Magic and Lady Alice Stanley are badly infected, and both of my Singing in the Rains and George Burns have died. I am assuming that they all have what looks like what your seedling has. But like Peter says, (and not very seriously at that) there are probably a whole lot of those kind of things going around, and some may be serious and others, not. If it is a fungus, a wide spectrum fungicide may help, for me I am (already have) applying a few rounds of beneficial bacteria, along with a few more light applications of organic soil ferts and amendments. My soil is notoriously deficient and sometimes I forget that.

It is probably the beginning of Stem Canker, also known as Cane Canker. I have it on many of my roses. On the following webpage, see the second photo from the bottom (within that photo the second cane from the top is similar to your photo):

http://www.sactorose.org/ipm/83canker.htm

Gail

Judy,

I was perusing a few sites that I occasionally take a peek of, and this photo below caught my attention. When my roses that have been affected by what starts as a very similar “rash” look that you show on your rose, this is exactly how my roses have ended up looking like, after which if every branch is affected, as I mentioned above, they die. This has only happened in the past two yrs., present yr included, although there may have been a random occurrence prior to that-I just never noticed. This yr was worse, and in addition to the above mentioned affected roses is Wild Blue Yonder. What they all have in common are bare lower branches, some more so than others. Sunburn is certainly a possibility for this damage because it was a very hot yr this yr., and this happened in the second half of the summer. All of my affected roses are next to/adjacent my long driveway which catches and reflects the southern sun intensely. While this may not be what is affecting your rose, it really fits with what is affecting mine. More water, more mulch. Sunburn in Tucson? Not unheard of.

I have included the link , photo and blog blurb from that site.

pieceofeden.blogspot.com/2010/01myquirky-rose-pruning-opinions.html

This is another type of damage, sunburn–which you probably won’t see in places like the UK. If the sunburn isn’t too bad, the cane will still be productive, but a bad sunburn sucks the life out of a cane. Sometimes I remove them, sometimes not. Sunburn is easily identified. The side of the cane facing the sun will be brownish or reddish, while the other side will be green and look normal. This picture shows old sunburn. This cane was still productive so I left it last year, but this year it’s off, it got sunburnt again this year and the white areas are dead.

Sunburn! Now there is a problem I see a lot of. High altitude means higher light intensity. Also a good reason to use sun screen so you don’t develop skin cancer.

White wash or trunk paint could easily be used for rose “sunblock”. Why not? They do it for citrus to prevent sun scald. It’s been a continuous problem in my gardens for nearly thirty years. The sun and transpiration get so extreme, sun scald happens all the time.

Thanks for all your input, guys. I don’t think it’s stem canker, but may be a related nasty. Definitely not sunburn since it is also on the north side. Still up in the air on this, I guess. The agricultural extension sent cuttings to the University of Arizona pathology lab, but it’s now been 5 weeks and no word from them. I’m not sure they’ve even processed it. I guess my next step will have to be a commercial lab?