Anyone grow Mr Moore's 'New Adventure'?

I’m interested in know what it’s like, how it grows, how clean it is, does it do well in the heat, how much of ‘Safrano’ it has retained, etc???

Simon,

I grow ‘New Adventure’, yes. There is no noticeable Tea influence in this rose. It is very Blackspot prone but doesn’t Mildew. It grows very much like most Moore miniatures of a certain style: 15 to 24" tall, upright, big panicles of bloom, fast repeat, no fragrance. I don’t find it a particularly remarkable variety; it is a bland color that fades quickly to white. I don’t recall that it sets seed.

I have often considered using ‘Sharon’s Delight’ in breeding as it also has ‘Safrano’ as one parent, and it has excellent vigor and blooms more than 98% of the other shrubs I own. It can be so heavily covered in bloom that its foliage is barely visible! It also has a pleasant scent.

Paul

Hmmmm… maybe choosing one of the earlier minis closer to (and including) ‘Rouletii’ with China-like characteristics (and diploid???) might be the go with ‘Safrano’, and other Teas for that matter, to get some of the Tea habit in miniature??? I collected a swag of longicupis pollen tongiht to put onto ‘Safrano’ too. For some reason everything I put ‘Safrano’ pollen onto this season has failed so I’m going to see if I can get it to work as a seed parent. So far ‘Safrano’ is the strongest growing Tea I have and completely clean (so far taps head) here.

Simon,

Curious how different roses perform so differently in other parts of the world. For me, ‘Safrano’ was a disaster rose in every way: it was constantly covered in mildew from the moment it leafed out and was crippled by the disease. Not at all like the plant you describe!

If you want to obtain some interesting growth habits of the Tea/China style. I suggest ‘Oakington Ruby’ which is capable as pollen and seed parent, is diploid and has a wonderfully twiggy growth habit, like a dwarf China/Tea. It is much more China-like than ‘Rouletii’.

‘Safrano’ is a dog here in the the Palm Springs area too. It hates the heat.

I wasted two seasons on ‘Sharon’s Delight’ and have nothing to show for it. It was however a good rose.

shrugs curious maybe… just goes to show there aint no such thing as the universal rose. You guys rave about wichurana based roses and here, for me, it is they who are often dogs…

‘Oakington Ruby’ sounds like a good idea and I think I could possibly get some here too.

I hate to say this, but what Robert and Paul say about ‘Safrano’ pretty much describes its appearance here on the hotter side of the mainland. It probably prefers your cooler climate, Simon.

I MUST get myself a camera, to capture some of this stuff in pictures, it would be so much more entertaining…LOL

I’m having trouble getting pollen out of a few of my Teas at the moment… ‘M. Tillier’ didn’t produce any anthers with its first lot of flowers (very young plant that I disbudded to let it grow a bit first… buds were tiny… will improve as it ages but they had no pollen), and ‘St. Francis Xavier’ (NOT ‘Francis Dubreuil ’ x ‘Papa Gontier’) didn’t have much in the way of pollen, I keep missing ‘Comtesse de Labarrthe’ as the flowers seem to go from bud to blown while I’m at work and it’s a very slow grower for me, ‘NOT Francis Dubreuil’ seems to produce pollen but it doesn’t repeat very well here so far (though it is establishing still)… ‘Lady Hillingdon’ turned up her heels on me, "Souvenir de MME Leonie Veinnot’ is also a tiny cutting at the moment with no flowers, so ‘Safrano’ is the only Tea I have that is being productive at the moment and has grown well and is completely clean so far with a crop of flowers every few weeks… so when I saw ‘New Adventure’ I was interested in how it went and what it looked like and how much of ‘Safrano’ it retained… I’ll probably need to wait a few years before I can do much serious work with Teas.

Simon, ‘Comtesse de Labarathe’ is one tea that performs exceptionally well on this side of the mainland, after it has had time to establish… It flowers throughout the entire four seasons here, and remains pretty much evergreen. Fertility is proven. It is a “model-T” of sorts :slight_smile:

‘Comtesse de Labarathe’ is an easy seed parent but emasculating it can sometimes be a bit tricky.

Susceptible to Powdery Mildew.

Robert, CDLB shows some PM, like MANY of the Teas here, but thankfully in the case of CDLB it is not a big enough deal to worry about in my climate.

I hear you George. Powdery Mildew is my arch nemesis. Since I can’t test for black spot, it’s the only disease I feel I can have some hand in combating.

I’m doing my best to avoid it. I agree CDLB has enough good qualities that it’s worth exploring.

Yeah, I totally understand where you are coming from, Robert. Any dose of PM is never ideal, and it is a totally hiddeous disease when expressed badly in the very susceptible roses. As a matter of fact, it is the main reason I am sceptical about using a lot of otherwise gorgeous teas. :frowning:

For some reason it seems many of the roses closely allied to species from Asia have propensity to PM.

It’s frustrating, but the problem doesn’t seem to be insurmountable.

Robert,

Does ‘Slater’s Crimson’ mildew for you?

Strangely I’ve never tried Slater’s here Paul.

Red is my least favorite color in roses.

I remember considering it at one time and concluding that working with one of it’s early descendants seemed a more productive route for utilization.

Just looking at descendants of ‘Éblouissant’ can boggle one’s mind. It’s the one I would likely go back to.

Since, with your help, I now have, ‘Magic Wand’, and considering I have limited space, it’s not something I’m likely to explore in the near future.

I also recently picked up another descendant, ‘Brittania’, among others things.

Getting anything out of 'Slater’s is likely to be a challenge, since I have confirmed what the records show: it has low fertility. However, unlike ‘Old Blush’, it never mildews here, not even under plastic.

I have ‘Eblouissant’ if you want it, or just some pollen. I tried to get it to make seed using ‘Home Run’ on it, but no go. I think ‘Magic Wand’ might be more useful in the end, as ‘Eblouissant’ tends to mildew for me, but ‘Magic Wand’ does not. Neither does it Blackspot, which is remarkable in my garden.

Yes, I’d steer away from ‘Old Blush’.

Descendants don’t always have problems with PM but anything we can do to mitigate moving susceptibility forward ought to be avoided in my opinion.

It makes sense. There are many other options.