Advice on what to cross with R. glauca?

Paul,

I love the foliage color on Sievers’ R. x “Rubrithodes” F2R. Thanks for providing the link.

Actually, I wasn’t aware of the ploidies!

R.f. is apparently in the pedigree of some damasks, and presumably allows the autumn damask its rebloom. Kim

Rupert was using it some. I haven’t heard much from him lately as to results.

I think anything that would put a cooler hue of red (or even fuchsia) flower on glauca foliage would be a real showstopper. Some consider Knockout to be a strident color, but on purple/bronze foliage, it would be a relatively tame color. (Plant a little artemisia around that and…)

(RE: R. f., as I once said, I would love to see a flower like Reine des Violettes on R. f… I’ve seen those two growing together, and the silver and violet sing together.)

Philip,

I can get carried away with the plody issue sometimes. I guess it

Fuschia, clear pink and red would be nice with the glauca foliage. I was also thinking purple might be a nice color to go with the foliage.

Paul, I majored in art. They never taught us to put things together in school. We just waxed poetic about the esthetics!

As for ploidy and planning, I’m starting to think the darned plants don’t have a good grasp of the theories, and so they go ahead and do their own thing anyway.

:slight_smile:

I confess, I’ve never seen R. glauca first hand. I’m curious as to how it would behave (survive) on the gulf coast…

Philip, I have a new R.Glauca this year which is about 4 ft X 4 ft. and it is doing very well so far here in Lafayette, La. Although it has been a very wet and cooler Summer so far.

Patrick

Stefan,

You are right about ploidy, no matter what we think should happen, the plants sometimes throw us a curve ball. Take Fuchsia Meidiland for example, David Z. has confirmed that it is a triploid, but it is setting OP hips like crazy this year and I have used its pollen on a number of plants.

I

R. glauca in Tennessee is pretty much fungal free. But it’s in a bed with other species roses so the disease pressure is really low. It’s on red clay and most years has some drought conditions in summer. There’re two foetida bicolors in the same area but they are both puny so they’re not contributing much to potential fungal problems.

(The modern roses are up the hill and the winds don’t blow from the moderns to the species.)

Ann,

Isn’t it funny how a plant can be healthier in a warmer and most likely more humid environment.

To be honest my R.glauca has been pretty healthy this year. I don’t know if that is because it has been so dry here this summer or because I moved it out of the shade last fall so it’s getting more sunlight.

I’m not the first to notice how R.glauca loses it’s leaves and becomes leggy. Here is what Percy Wright wrote about R.glauca 60 years ago. R.rubrifoila is the old name for R.glauca.

"Rosa rubrifolia

Patrick, that’s good to hear. I’m in N.O. myself. (I should have figured “Po’ Cajun” was in the neighborhood!)

I actually thought R.g. was fairly healthy. Any probs with BS for you?

Rugosas do fine here, and reportedly R. fedtshenkoana as well. Don’t know about the moyesii’s…

Philip. R. Glauca did blackspot a little this Spring and I sprayed a couple of times and now have left it alone and it is pretty clean, not much trouble at all. I have R fedtschenkoana and it is doing just fine also. I have several hips of it on orangeade, Lynnie, and Carlin’s Rhythm. I plan to get R. moyesii Geranium this Fall.

Patrick

If I were using a diploid rugosa to cross with R. glauca, I would use Rotes Meer (Purple Pavement). My reasonung is that Rotes Meer is an exception to the bothersome trait that double rugosas have of holding on to the spent petals - much like a wad of used facial tissue.

It would be highly desireable to pass on the blue-green foliage trait of R. glauca. Imagine a tightly compact rose bush with copius flowers over blue-green foliage! Yum.

Link: rosehybridizers.org/forum/message.php?topid=12252&rc=51&ui=1481354315

1 Like

I can imagine exactly what your describing Bill. Thanks so much for the suggestion of Rotes Meer. I was thinking Hansa but they look very similar but as you mentioned RM drips it’s petals nicely.

If you were in new Zealand, I would suggest the rugosa Ann Endt might be an interesting R. glauca match.

Dunno if it’s available stateside…

Link: www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=12416

In my and other’s limited experience hybridizing with Rosa glauca and using it as the pistillate parent, because it is in the Caninae section and has a peculiar meosis, no matter (but exceptions will probably be found) what the staminate parent is the progeny highly resembles Rosa glauca in flowers and shrub characteristics. The flowers will be small, pink and the canes have a rangy growth habit. It’s likely only when F2 progeny are produced that there will be a wider range of flower size, colour and form, and different shrub characteristics.

In the case of the Skinner Rosa glauca hybrid that repeats its flowers, I think I previously mentioned this selection is likely a ‘Carementta’ selfed. The flowers are semi-double and about three times the size of the species. The shrub is also more compact. It has foliage colour not as dark as the species but definitely has a Rosa glauca appearance.

In a previous message in this thread, I mentioned I had good success crossing ‘Isabella Preston’ with ‘Louis Riel’. I spoke too soon. In fact, I had limited success. So it’s back to the drawing board to maximize the possibility of getting F2 progeny from Rosa glauca hybrids.

Phillip, thank you for the suggestion of Ann Endt. It is available in the US. Does it set hips do you know?

Thanks for the tip Paul regarding glauca traits being dominant in a cross. I plan to not only work with R. glauca itself but also with ‘Carmenetta’. I’m sorry to hear that you didn’t have great success with ‘Isabella Preston’ and ‘Louis Riel’. Do you plan on using them any further in your efforts?

You’re right. Ann Endt is available at Heirloom.

But given the caninae meiosis, you would want to use Ann E. as the pollen parent, methinks… Hip set is irrelevant. (Ok. In answer to your question, I have no idea if it sets hips! :wink: I should expect AE to be fertile, but if not, that could explain the free flowering. (?))

I saw the virtues of this very floriferous rugosa extolled on various NZ websites, and it looks like an esthetically pleasing marriage to me… (per Jul 31 post above!) I’m actually glad to hear that glauca traits are dominant. If in a couple generations one could get a floriferous rebloomer and change little else, that would be an amazing success to my mind…

So, a question for those more familiar with the meiosis and genetics: might a (R.g.xA.E.) x (R.g.xA.E.) yield a recurrent seedling?? Or is unlikely the the caninae issues could be overcome so readily??

Ann Endt is a found rose with continuous bloom, and is attributed as "Rosa rugosa Thunberg

Just noticed at end of helpmefind page, yes, Ann Endt sets dark red hips