A Rose For Karen Carpenter?

Hi, My name is Robert. I’ve been a fan of the Carpenters since 1971…

I was wondering if there are any flowers named for Karen? Is there a Karen Carpenter rose or daylily or orchid, or anything…?

Barbra Streisand and Dolly Parton have roses named for them. Even Rosie O’Donnell has a rose named for her…! If Rosie O’Donnell can have a rose named for her, why can’t there be a rose for Karen?

How does one go about submitting names for upcoming roses?

With the 25th anniversary of Karen’s death coming up next year, I thought it would be a nice gesture if some flower society gave a nice tribute and named a flower for Karen, one of the greatest and most beloved vocalists of the 20th century…

Your thoughts?

Robert, finding a rose to name for Karen Carpenter is easy.

You might even find a hybridizer willing to donate an un-named seedling for the purpose.

Acquiring licensing for use of her name, image and finding a company to produce and distribute the product would be more difficult.

You should probably start by contacting whoever handles her estate and see if they are open to the idea and go from there.

Most larger companies will only back production of a rose for distribution if they can be guaranteed sales of a minimum number of units.

The other option would be to buy a high quality seedling from a known hybridizer, pay for production of the rose at which point resale marketing and distribution could be handled by a third party.

Whichever route you choose it will require planning to pull it off and make it a large commercial success.

Ultimately it’s about money.