Your favorite pink for hybridizing?

I’ve heard it postulated the “Sexy” in “Rexy” was a euphemism for… uh… very fecund…
I don’t have experience with her, but how is disease-resistance for you, Joseph?

I spend so much effort trying to avoid pink seedlings, it takes a pretty spectacular plant for me to consider a pink. One I have been eyeing for a half dozen years would be Wedding Bells – a Kordes. Does anybody know if she sets hips?

I loved Sexy Rexy but Tournament of Roses worked better with better health here.

Sexy Rexy was grown en masse by exhibitors in the PNW. I tried it once, grafted from old Edmunds, and it just doesn’t like to grow well in this climate. Bill Warriner was superior in that spot, but more prone to bs. I tried Pleasure, but it was awkward. I eventually gave up the “pink flori” spot and installed a large cement frog lol.

Dicky is very easy to grow, and blooms a lot, but it has a long running marriage to black spot :stuck_out_tongue:

In later years, I tried Anne Birnhak, which was great, but shovel pruned due to downy. I tried Pink Abundance, which was somewhat okay, but lacked vigor.

Had I grown Inner Wheel back then, that would have been the rose for the “pink flori” spot. Healthy for its class, not too big, good vigor, neat color.

'Tickled Pink looks pretty good, and supposedly out of Sexy Rexy, but it just looks too big for a flori.

Pink floris just dont seem high on the list of cultivar improvement by breeders.

Speaking of mostly European roses here, Hortico told me the reason their is less rare, but modern European roses available by them is that there is no longer bud wood available for them. In other words, one of those nasty winter storms in recent years did a killing sweep.

Weeks via Jackson and Perkins has a new pink flori called Sweet Rose of Mine, which appears to be All My Loving x Candy Spelling based on the code. No word how decent it is, but I have had luck with another Candy Spelling seedling so its plausibly okay. Time will tell.

Inner Wheel was spectacular in every way in SoCal. Healthy, vigorous, easy to root and performed splendidly own root. Set seed easily and they germinated well. I miss that one.

I’d have to say that Moore’s “0-47-19” is my best/most valuable pink breeder. It’s capable of generating a wide spectrum of colors, but it does pink very well.

A second option would be Svejda’s “L-83” the Kordesii hybrid. Many pinks result, and many are totally disease free here in the PNW. Photo is “0-47-19”
photo

3 Likes

I forget just how many babies 0-47-19 has created, Paul. (And the diversity!) Thanks.

1 Like

I usually do not do OP seeds, but many, really many OP seedlings of Claire Marshall produced nice seedlings over a couple of years, fragrant and with good vigor. This year I am trying Claire Marshall as a pollen parent and I am really excited to see what comes out.

1 Like

Roemer’s Hip Happy has produced very black spot resistant offspring for me that are also nearly prickle free.
Stephen