Wine from Cherokee rose hips

A friend has run across an entrepreneur in China making wine from Cherokee Rose hips; it is apparently somewhat similar to a mild sherry. Is anyone familiar with such

a wine? If so, is it a still wine flavored with brandy or another additive? Or is that the natural product of the fermentation? Thank you in advance for any information in this regard.

Jim Delahanty

google it and you will find more rose hip wine recipes than you can make. here is one of them.

Link: winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques46.asp

You can make a fermented beverage out of just about anything. Rose hips have very little or no juice in them, so to make

Jim,

I’d also like to try the Jam made from Roxburghii hips.

In my garden, I don’t see a whole lof of sweetness in the small amount of flesh that comes on R. laevigata. It may be my zone. I also have trouble getting rugosa hips to make more volumn for a hip/seed and I’ve only gotten jam from Rugosa one year.

I wonder if the entrepreneur is in zone 9 or 10 and grows the plants in a sandy soil with subterranean moisture (so the hips could grow as large as they chose to.)

On the subject of laevigata’s sweetness of hips…

I believe certain rose hips are tastier than others.

I don’t eat rose hips, but when I extract them with… I essentially bite the rose hip in half.

After years of this, I’ve noticed that some varieties taste better than others. Rugosas are sweet (sometimes sickly sweet.)

Worst tasting hips tend to be the hybrid teas and floribundas, although some varieties like Sir Tristram have HUGE hips. But some have exceptions like Queen Elizabeth…

My seedling of kordesii and Basye’s amphiploid tastes good too, almost like sugar cane. But the hips are much more smaller than either parent.