What I am trying between seasons.

The normal pollination season is over, and I have finished colecting the early ripened hips. So what to do now?

Well, this summer I have continued pollinating. As mentioned in another thread http://www.rosehybridizers.org/forum/message.php?topid=12511#12569 , on August 2nd I started adding alpha naphthalene acetamide to my pollinated hips. So far I have not found a single hip that was thus treated that has aborted. So, I am continuing to pollinate any and everything that flowers (especially rugosas since they have short hip ripening periods. I am particularly interested in putting triploid and tetraploid pollen on diploids but all combinations are being attempted.

Of course, it is possible that the hips will be seedless or that the seeds formed will not germinate; but if the method works, this method may allow the development of many new breeding “building blocks”.

Link: www.rosehybridizers.org/forum/message.php?topid=12511#12569

That is very intresting Henry. I tried to google alpha naphthalene acetamide and ferrous glyconate and didn’t have much luck as to what it is and where to get it. Can you use liquid honey bee with the pollen and then use roottone?

Thanks

Patrick

Ferrous glyconate should be available at health food stores. This is the latest hybridizer link:

http://www.rosehybridizers.org/forum/message.php?topid=3112#5262

alpha naphthalene acetamide is discussed at:

http://www.rosehybridizers.org/forum/message.php?topid=12511#12511

In the above link I give a link that provides the commercial name of all products that contain alpha naphthalene acetamide.

I am not familar with the components in “liquid honey bee”. I suggest you try it on a known good combination.

Rootone normally also contains a fungicide Thiram: Home | Pesticide Info

I have not tested this mixture. I would expect that Thiram would decrease pollen germination:

Title: Effect of some fungicides on the germination of almond and peach pollen.

Authors: Iliev, I.; Dzheneva, A.

Authors affiliation: Exp. Stn. Fruit Vine Growing, Pomorie, Bulg.

Published in: Pochvoznanie, Agrokhimiya i Rastitelna Zashtita (1987), 22(2), pages 91-5.

Abstract: "The effect of some fungicides on the germination of pollen of some almond and peach cultivars was studied. The majority of the prepns. decreased the germination. A significant pos. effect was found for the pollen of the Nikitsky 17-10 almond cultivar treated with Mugibon. Thiram had the strongest neg. effect on the pollen. Zineb caused an insignificant difference in pollen germination of all almond cultivars studied. A similar insignificant effect was obsd. for Bitertanol, benomyl, and Mical on Krimsky, Nikitsky 17-10, and Nonpareil almond cultivars; Pallinal, Sonax C 52 WP, and Fenarimol on Nikitsky 17-10 cultivar; thiophanate-Me (I) on the Krimsky and Nonpareil cultivars; and Sonax C 52 WP on the Nonpareil cultivar. The best effect on peach pollen was obtained with Pallinal for the Redhaven cultivar, Fenarimol and Mical for the Rio Oso Gem cultivar, Bitertanol, zineb, Fenarimol, Mugibon, and Mical for the Blake cultivar, and Mugibon, zineb, benomyl, Pallinal, and Fenarimol for the Collins cultivar.

Thank you so much Henry.

Patrick