What ever happend to those

First off, Happy New Year. I’ve finally arrived home and still got some party in me, and not to mention the little bit of tequila and champagne. The party was great, and I hopefully yours was too…

Okay, well I just want to find out whatever happened to those Spotless roses, breed by the USDA, I think. I remember they were Spotless Gold, Spotless Yellow, and Spotless Pink. They all had resistance to several strains of black spot. But I can’t find any registered seedlings from any of them, and I cannot find any of them being sold. Anyone has more info on them? I was so intrested knowing any info on them, and to know if there were any seedlings from them. Thanks. Enrique…

Enrique - Guess there was not too much tequila and champagne served else you would NOT be posting tonite! We too had a quiet night – so with a couple of inches of snow last night, some melting today and freezing temps this evening we thought it best to stay off the roads and have a quiet night home tipping a few (or more) and messing with our karaoke machine! Anyway – Happy New Year to you and all our hybridizing friends. My news year wish to all is — may the seeds that you have germinate and produce a lot of new “babies” for the rest of us to enjoy!

Enrique,

Although the Spotless varieties had very good disease resistance, they apparently did not pass this quality along to their offspring, at least in the first 2 generations or so. There might have been other problems too (fertility problems?), but I have no direct knowledge of such problems if they existed.

I did grow a small crop of seedlings with Spotless Gold as the pollen parent, and they all blackspotted badly.

I got budwood of the Spotless roses and grew them while I lived in Lubbock, TX (left there in 1984). Of the 3, I liked Spotless Gold best for its attractive leaves and cheerful yellow blossoms. Spotless Pink was the closest to show quality. These 2 were very vigorous. Spotless Yellow did not show me much potential–pale yellow, with poor bush and relatively low vigor. Spotless Pink, despite its rugosa heritage, was quite tender and froze back badly even on canes that were mature at the onset of cold weather (in zone 7!). Spotless Gold was tougher. Spotless Yellow probably was the toughest since it seemed to be perpetually in dormancy, but it didn’t seem to be of much use. I think I wrote an article about the three in an old issue of the Newsletter (maybe about 1982 or 1983)–will try to look that up. There was a brief discussion of the Spotless series here on the Forum not too far back–see link below. And I think there was a discussion on rec.gardens.roses once.

Peter

Link: www.rosehybridizers.org/forum/message.php?topid=2545#2561

I found the thread on rec.gardens.roses. Here is the URL in case the link window acts up.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=19951207.172106.858118.NETNEWS%40WVNVM.WVNET.EDU&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3D%2522spotless%2Bseries%2522%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26hl%3Den%26btnG%3DGoogle%2BSearch

Link: groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=19951207.172106.858118.NETNEWS%40WVNVM.WVNET.EDU&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3D%2522spotless%2Bseries%2522%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26hl%3Den%26btnG%3DGoogle%2BSearch

Why weren’t they ever released? Or were they released with a limit? I would enjoy growing at least one of them, especially the yellow versions.

Enrique

(I woke up, and had no hang over. I guess I didn’t drink as much as I assumed. Happy New Years again, everyone)

They were released. People just had to ask for budwood from the Beltsville USDA station. I got my budwood in 1980. The release had been reported in the December, 1979 issue of HortScience (pp. 764-5).

I did find my article about the Spotless series. It appeared in the Fall, 1986 RHA Newsletter, pp. 7-8.

I remember reading someone’s post about Spotless Gold is in Carefree Sunshine, but I can’t find this info anywhere…

Can anyone tell me?

And what exactly are the parentages of the spotless roses?

I remember that post. I think Bill Radner was talking about it himself. I used search and couldnt find that thread :frowning:

I remember various pieces of it like First Prize and Rise n’ Shine.

Ray of Sunshine looks good in this category although I question the recorded parentage.

Also check out this Canadian bred miniature.

I dont know how hardy it is, though.

Release of the USDA Spotless series was announced in the May 1980 American Rose magazine, p. 8. The release was also announced in HortScience that year, and I have a xeroxed copy of the article somewhere (but I don’t know where…). I believe the HortScience article has details on the parentage of the Spotless varieties, so that might be the place to look, Enrique.

Enrique

I did some searching and it appears that Spotless Gold is grown at one of your favorite hang outs, the SJHRG. I don’t know if its still there but it’s in their current listing. Might be worth the effort for you to check it out.

Link: www.heritageroses.us/ByHybridizer_Up-Zy.htm

It will be worth while to visit and see how rugosa it is and compare it with the other yellow rugosas: Agnes, Rugelda, Yellow Topaz. I think I found pictures of Grace…

Enrique,

As I recall, Spotless Gold leaves do not look even slightly rugose. They are quite glossy, but I don’t remember any rugose traits. The blossom is a cheerful bright yellow with several small petals–could be compared with the blossoms of several non-roses which have small yellow flowers with prominent stamens and pistils. Very pretty.

You know, it would very intresting to cross Spotless Gold with Rugelda and Yellow Topaz. Although Yellow Topaz isn’t very fertile, but I recall that there were a few successes here and there. And Yellow Topaz has very rugosa foilage, more so then Rugelda if I’m remembering correctly (although the foilage of Rugelda is equally beautiful).

Perhaps with luck, a Spotless Gold x Yellow Topaz may be a step towards creating a fertile yellow tetraploid rugosa, which will be an incredible assest for Northern hybridizers…