Variations within a new plant--

I’m talking about my seedling which I’ve nicknamed “Abraham Bayse” (for Abraham Darby X Dr. Basye’s Probable Amphiploid.)

The first few foilage they looked a little bit like a damask. When it matured, the foilage gave rather normal looking foilage like a hybrid tea (not so large, little bit rounded) and it’s been like that for several years.

Now, it’s produced the same grey green damask like foilage when I first had it. It’s similar to that of R. moschata abysinnica (which I now grow, and you can see pics on helpmefind.com)

Long, pointed, grey green. Similar to a few seedlings of the 77-361. Not the rounded hybrid teaish small foilage.

I’m wondering if this is because this is a “new strain” (aside of Kim’s astounding works).

I’ve never seen this happen in my few years, and I’m wondering about the rest of you who have more experiance and longer seedling plots.

Well, this seedling is very fertile both ways. Recently I crossed a single Persian Sunset’s pollen on it and it took. This week, two seedlings germinated (the seed parent is the light mauve hybrid tea Cologne.)

Abraham Bayse also rooted in water at least in 2 occasions. (I sent the first rooted seedling to a member here, and the second one grew well until I simply forgot to water the pot and it died.) I know a few people here were interested in breeding roses that are vigorious and easy to root for rootstock, so maybe this seedling could offer something to your interests.

I will root some more cuttings in the autumn for people who are interested in using my seedling in their programs. I believe it could produce novelty plants. It is very fragrant and it starts of yellow edged in mauve pink and fades to a light cream. The scent’s “flavor” is a musky clove, the type of fragrance that floats in the air.