untapped research area in roses

Should some of us start breeding for dwarfing and high flower production rose rootstocks?

Link: www.actahort.org/books/667/667_37.htm

Oh nice, interesting thought. But what species would lead to that? I dunno where one would even start to create something like that for roses.

Interesting thought. I’ve been interested in trying to breed a root stock tolerant of wet soils – working with R. palustris, but since I moved away from home and my parent’s water-logged soils, I haven’t done anything with it. It seems that you would also have to be very careful about keeping the root stock clean of viruses – that is the nice thing about root stocks raised from seed, as most viruses are not transmited via seed.

Has anyone tried – or heard of – grafting a full-sized rose onto a miniature rose? Would the mini rose root system act as a dwarfing root stock? I’d be interested to see if it worked.

Joseph

How about r. clinophylla? Has anyone tried that as a rootstock?

Didnt someone on this forum say that theyve grafted using Ballerina and The Fairy before? What were the results?

Until experiments are conducted, it’s anyone’s guess which rose rootstock will result in increased flower production and/or compact habit in various growing conditions. An example of unpredictable results can be found in grapes, where Riparia Gloire tends to be more vigorous than most other varieties used for rootstock when grown out on its own; however when it is used as rootstock for another cultivar, it has the general effect of reducing the vigor of the scion.

Growers of florist roses use different rootstocks for different varieties. Some varieties produce better on certain rootstocks; some have better color on certain rootstocks. For example, Tantau recommends Natal Briar or Canina Inermis for Ballade, Natal Briar or Manetti for Black Magic, Multiflora or Indica for Commodore, and own roots for Leandra and Voyage.

Link: www.rosen-tantau.com/english/treibhaus/uebersicht_europa.html