Unexpected

Last October (2004), I reported a few unexpected open-pollinated hips on the first to bloom, of my several bracteata hybrid seedlings [bracteata X (rugosa X palustris)]. I had guessed that maybe there was a sector of doubled-chromosome tissue on this particular branch. Sadly (at the time), this part died over the winter. Of the two seeds that germinated, only one is still alive. It is very prickly and not very vigorous. This season several more of the original bracteata X (rugosa X palustris) seedlings bloomed and to my repeated surprise, I found at least a dozen hips spread out over these plants. So much for the doubled tissue theory. Now I’m thinking that these hybrids must just be a whole lot more fertile than I’d expected them to be.

[and

url=http://www.koolpages.com/hybridizer/Rose/bracteata_hybrids.html">bracteata hybrids more recent

The fact that it is fertile should be exciting.

I remember Mr. Viru sent OP bracteata X Clinophylla seeds through a member of this fourum (I can’t remember your name buddy, but I didn’t forget you if you’re reading this…)

Perhaps crossing an OP of your seedling with one of Viru’s OP seedlings would yeild something amazing.

I grew 5 seedlings this year. 1 is really good, and the others I will probably give to someone here next year. So maybe if you’re interested…

Thanks for the offer Enrique, but I’m “swamped” already. But, I do look forward to seeing pictures of the blooms of your bracteata X clinophylla someday. good luck with

And I like your idea of intercrossing bracteata hybrids. It seems like a good way to recover interesting traits (of bracteata) that might be hidden in the F1’s.

Here’s another close-up picture of two bracteata X (rugosa X palustris) seedlings.

Link: www.koolpages.com/hybridizer/Rose/two_bracteata_hybrids.html

Perhaps a pollen swap in the future?

I know what it means to have limited space.

I’m growing some really good seedlings right now, and they’re over crowded.

One in particular, Cologne X Constance Spry, is one of the most loveliest. It’s a very pale white-pink overlaid with some lavender.

It’s a once bloomer, although its sister seedling was nearly as nice. It was a regular pink, but it didn’t have the open blowsy form of Constance Spry. I kept the once bloomer because it had more vigor. But to do this, I must sacrafice my Reine des Violettes (which only gave me 5 seedlings, but all of them died as seedlings.)

Another seedling is a Prospero X Goldmoss. It has no moss, and it lacks an English form. But it has better disease resistance than Prospero, and the color is not bad. It’s a blend of old gold, apricots, and pinks. And it’s a bi-color too. To grow this seedling, I must remove Prospero, which I’ve already explored as a seed parent.

And there’s my fabulous Sutter’s Gold X Renae seedling. It definetly has an English type form, but weak necks. And the color varies too much in the climate. Sometimes it’s a carmine/deep pinkish red. Other times it is overlaid with yellow. It has an even better fragrance than both parents… and too boot, it’s decently thornless. I need to sacrafice my Geranium Red, which is a terrible plant that lacks vigor. Too bad, because I love the color, form, and fragrance.

And there are others too-- but I got to decide real hard if I want to keep them (and maybe-- market them one day?)

How much fertile are your seedlings or in other words: how many seeds/hips?

Pierre,

I haven’t broken open any of the hips from this season yet. But now that you mention it, I’ll be sure to do counts when I do.

In 2004, I had tried multiple pollinations with rugosa pollen on the one seedling bracteata hybrid that was blooming. None of these were successful, and so I had assumed that the hybrid was sterile. Later on, I found that a three of the open-pollinated blooms (not the ones I had pollinated) had set hips. From these:

First hip - nine seeds

Second hip - four seeds

Third hip - two seeds

Of these fifteen seeds, only eight were sinkers (in the float test). I only got two to germinate. And one of those has died.

So, although the hybrids are completely sterile, I wouldn’t call them very fertile either.

I’ll let you know the seed count for this year, when I find out.

Hello again Pierre,

I processed the hips from this season. The results and pictures are at the link below. Hope this is helpful.

Link: www.koolpages.com/hybridizer/Rose/bracteata_hybrid_hips_seeds.html

Thank you Tom!

Here also when the species has as much as fifty nice round seeds/hip most bracteata hybrids have smaller hips and reduced seed number. And are rather difficult to germinate. Hope you do better.

Also some hybrids have thorny hips.

Same for sinkers/floaters. I never sort them and sow all.

Update:

Have 2 of these seedlings emerging right now. The seeds have been potted and kept in a semi-heated sunporch where the temperature has been hovering around 40 - 50 degrees Fahrenheit for several months. I wasn’t sure if this would be cold enough to properly stratify them, but I guess it must be, for at least a few of them. I also have one germination of some F2 seeds from multiflora X ‘Mutabilis’.