Unexpected results

I am just fascinated by genetics. I would be interested to hear everyone’s stories of cross results that left you scratching your head.

I mentioned in earlier posts about crosses being more disease resistant than either parent but one cross that really has me scratching my head is a cross between the hybrid tea Granada and Knockout. After 4 years, one hybrid continues to be mildew proof (one of the very few in my yard that can make that claim). Granada is so prone to mildew and Knockout’s offspring, in my experience, are generally more prone to mildew than Knockout itself. This particular hybrid also inherited the color of Granada and much of the fragrance, which was another surprise. I thought I would have to backcross to regain these traits. If the foliage and flower form were not identical to Knockout I would have thought I mislabeled the cross. Too bad it is completely lacking in vigor and prone to blackspot! Oh well, one of these days the stars, or genes, will align.=)

Another cross that just does not make sense is a Bayse Blueberry x William Baffin, both repeat bloomers. After 4 years this particular cross is a huge bush and still once blooming. There is no question about the parentage.

I would love to hear everyone else’s results that were unexpected.

William Baffin typically breeds a fair percentage of once blooming offspring. Why is anybody’s guess. My guess is that WB has a different remontancy gene than moderns carrying China remontancy genes. Most of our modern roses got their repeating genes from the Chinas.

Shane,

Modern roses are such a “mixed lot”, especially moderns x species (or near species), that crosses between them provide an endless array of possibilities in the offspring.

“Unexpected results” is one of the things that makes this hobby so fun!

Jim Sproul