Trivial Pursuit for Plant Breeders

Multiple Choice question.
who_is_this.jpg
The person in this picture is:
a. A nurseryman from Lyon whose son-in-law made the first successful interspecific hybrid of Rosa foetida f. persiana.
b. The landscape architect who designed Le Jardin de la Malmaison.
c. A 17th century farmer who invented the automatic turnip planter.
d. The son of the head gardener to Louis XVI who copped a repeat blooming rose from a South Carolinian rice farmer.
e. A physician from the East End of London who invented the Wardian case.

C.
Screenshot (194).jpg

We need a rule forbidding Google image searches…

Ok then name the other four choices.

a. Pernet? Grew SdO for a couple of years until bsd itself to extinction … showed some “good” hardiness in zone 4a CDB

b. Louis Martin Berthault, though not a fan of Landscape architecture, seeing the gardens of La Ninfa (sic?) more of a bucket list item for me.

As an aside Monty does a couple of good series on the 500 year evolution of British gardens - touches on three of the great uk landscape architects. And on continent old world garden evoltion. Don’t remember malmaison coming up in history of french gardens. His south ltaly series of garden tours is excellent imho. Especially the Argentinian lady’s garden done on island near Naples (and the Ninfa if you like monster climbing roses perfectly set). Married a British composer.

d. Noisette’s relative?

e. Trick question? … l will go with the loser … A. Maconochie, not Dr Ward - forgot to publish invention.

d. Addendum : trivia addendum …driving back from coffee a word “champy” jump out of the dark grey matter … took awhile to get right spelling “Champney” … was he the rice farmer in charlestown area? … or the light fingers Louis’ employee ?

Rice farmer from Charleston.

Txs,

Dug through web Carolina sites and find Champney may of had a employee named Noisette, who may of sent the “Champney’s Pink Cluster” plant to his “relative (brother?) of the same name” in France. Latter “Noisette” was plantsman who is said to have crossed the import.

They say always go with one’s first guess.

Pernet?

Claude Dutcher, JP-D’s father in law.

b. Louis Martin Berthault,

I think so but I never found a direct statement that he did the gardens which were an ongoing project dating from the Napolionic Wars.

d. Noisette’s relative?

Phillipe Noisette himself. How their last names squared up is beyond me.

e. Trick question? … l will go with the loser … A. Maconochie, not Dr Ward - forgot to publish invention.

Yes, like who invented the steam boat (Fitch, not Fulton). You could argue even further that nether was actually first, from my reading on it similar things were in use for a while. Inventions are usually evolutionary rather than evolutionary.

An easy one? … once you know it you’ll never forget it … why I remember it, is due to it’s potential sarcasm meaning.

… In the time of Capability Brow, and during the reign of the estate landscaping architectural period, what is the common English term for the “landscaping structural innovation (if you can call it that)” that allowed, irrespective if, and when the cows came home, unobstructed views of the vistas he created for the estate holder, moneyed etc… not a lawn mower, tree axe - saw, scythe or anything mechanical.

Wow, great question. I’m going to ponder this for a while. The image this conjures for me is standing on the rear patio at The Breakers in Newport, Rhode Island looking out over an expansive lawn that ends in a cliff where it meets the sea.

Height seems important. Could it be the gazebo?

An 18th century inanimate partial sunken geometric ditch structure between upper (estate) and lower datums (start of vista) - height and geometry make it perform basically only one function in the era. Thats my take on it.

Texas gate performs same function but different design approach … also reminds of the function of the Australian Continental rabbit fence … would of thought a down under ag- fellow had dreamed up its name.

… the common name back then is the trivia part and unusual to me with the loafty tones one imagines the clients had back then.

Likely frost burn … temps below 0C a couple of times …

Sorry about that wrong thread comment and cant find delete function l use to use. As penance, first letter of device that allowed “breakthrough” to move the gardens away from proximal to the estate house and “into landscape architect” starts with an “H”

Another hint from the language of the 17th garden designer of Levens garden(s) Cumbria.

Apparently only 17th centuary garden in existence in the UK that remains as planted

Designed by Guillaume Beaumont ~1694+/-.

Also apparently first use of the innovation in UK before adopted by Landscape “gardens” school of the 18th centuary .

“… saut de loup …” Alternative French spelling same as English with top caps over “a”.

“Ha - Ha”

An easy one … l think. Which rose do l think “naturally” belongs in my garden (imo) both bloomed, both have hips, and nearly same height. Left one older than right side one - no name hints. Photo today Oct 22 2021.

Ok, I’ll try one. What flower-loving bull sired a long line of Ralph’s offspring?

“Ok, I’ll try one. What flower-loving bull sired a long line of Ralph’s offspring?”

“Ferdinand” Pichard.

Correct Don, imo

Leaves not turning color … early enough … is what l consider “not here please” cry from a wrong rose …

Kim, you’re quick! I’ve got to think of a clue that will be more of a challenge [botanically] …

What is tall, but rather short
ill but in perfect health
disparaged by many
but admired by many
John’s antecedent
and a State’s namesake,
a Greek’s favorite
with an apple’s perfume.

Ok, Kim, you smartie, let some of the younger whippersnappers have a whack first.

Brian