Tigris, got two plants of them. Nice...

Well, with all the past talk about Tigris, I’ve finally gotten myself the persica hybrid. I was able to afford to because of its compact size. I was very surprised that I could had EASILY tucked this at a sunny spot. But I’m not too intrested enough to concentrate my breeding efforts on this rose. For me, I’m like any person from this country. I want instant results, and I know I won’t get it. Still I thought it would be nice to have the plants since it is scarce and some what rare to come by. But since I’m still young, I think I will keep this as a side project. My plans is to pollinate this with every diploid I can get my hand on, but I’m going to concentrate on hybrid musks such as Ballerina. I read that there was a successful pollination and seedling of Buff Beauty. My reasoning is that Tigris’ Trier parent will more easily combine with the hybrid musks genes. If I can get a plant of Trier, or pollen, I will try to pollinate Tigris with that too. And since I have two plants, I will use one just for the purpose of trying to double the chromosomes. Well, thought it would be nice to share.

The question would remain–Is Ballerina an actual HMusk, though? It looks more like a HMult with Polyantha as well.

I thought most all Hybrid Musks are actually mostly multiflora based with a lot of polyantha (either multiflora or wichuriana polyantha types) in them and they don’t really have much or any Rosa moschata in them. Right?

The term Hybrid Musk is a complete misnomer; they have nothing to do with R. moschata.

Rose classification is so subjective. When the Rev. Pemberton began introducing his shrubs, he called them hybrid teas! Many people questioned that classification. Some years later, a reviewer said that because of their musk fragrance, they could be called hybrid musks, and Pemberton adopted that classification. The early hybrid musks were descendants of Aglaia whose parentage is R. multiflora X Reve d’Or. They may have gotten some R. moschata genes from Reve d’Or, but ARS classifications aren’t based on what genes roses inherited from their ancestors.

I just need to know-- how big does Tigris gets? I thought it was a very small and compact thing like a micro mini, but somebody told me it could get to be pretty large.