the old roxburghii - floribundas

I’m remembering the old roxburghii hybrids at Heritage.

And the one thing I could remember was their disease resistance (especially, K

In an article in the 1954 Rose Annual, Dr. Wulff says that all three of Tantau’s original roxburghii hybrids are tetraploid. One would expect most seedlings from that cross (Baby Chateau X R. roxburghii) to be triploid. The same article says that Tantau’s hybrids “did not show any traces of the male parent Rosa Roxburghii in their morphology.” Dr. Wulff doesn’t doubt the parentage given by Tantau, but I wonder. I guess we won’t know for sure until their DNA is tested.

Dr. Wulff suggests that the non-roxburghii appearance of the hybrids may be due to Baby Chateau’s genes being dominant to R. roxburghii’s genes for growth habit, flower shape and size, fruits, leaves, and prickles.

It would be interesting to look at some of Tantau’s later inbred seedlings of this line:

Alpine Glow - Cinnabar X (Cinnabar X Kathe Duvigneau)

Cinnabar Improved - (Cinnabar X Kathe Duvigneau) X Cinnabar

People - Cinnabar X (Kathe Duvigneau X Cinnabar)

Tantau’s Delight - Cinnabar X Kathe Duvigneau

Being inbred, they could express recessive traits that don’t appear in their parents. Is anyone familiar with them? Do any of them have roxburghii traits?

Regardless of the true parentage, this line of Tantau’s has already contributed tremendously to the development of modern roses, and it may very well have more to contribute. It would be interesting to try some of the later hybrids as they don’t seem to have been used nearly as much as the first three. Alpine Glow seems to have been used more than the others. Tropicana is one of its grandchildren.

Link: www.bulbnrose.com/Roses/breeding/Wulff/Wulff_roxburghii.html

I forgot to mention, I have Coryana (R. roxburghii X R. macrophylla), and it does resemble R. roxburghii in many ways.

Well,

the best way to find out is to attempt make remake the crosses.

That maybe difficult,

but if it is true that roxburghii gives offspring that looks like nothing like itself, then I think any hybrid tea or floribunda could take its place.

Perhaps a roxburghii x Queen Elizabeth?

Or even roxburghii x Golden Angel?

Of course, there is a possibility that Kordes’ roxburghii was ‘special’. Species have a lot of variation, and so we don’t know if this variation of the species could had played a significant role in this.

Nonetheless,

I think K