Swedish roses

I’ve been testing roses for hips for some years and the best I’ve found came from seed sent from a Romanian breeding station. After I’d grown them for a while, I found that they are apparently identical to roses grown for commercial rose hip production in Sweden. However, I’ve never been able to identify them. Even a professional rose breeder couldn’t identifiy the species. They make a tall shrub, easily 8 feet tall, with single pale pink fading to white blossoms. Hips are somewhat elongated with as many as 11 to a cluster. Ripening time and ability to hang on the bushes varies from plant to plant, though the plants LOOK much the same. They tend to get a little mildew, but no other disease, and have very few thorns - many canes are bare of them. Any thoughts?

-Lon Rombough

Your question brought back long forgotten memories of eating rose hip soup when I was an exchange student in Sweden. The Swedes get hips from a species they call ‘Nyponros’ (literally ‘hip rose’). According to the web page at the link below, the Latin name for Nyponros is Rosa dumalis and the English name is Glaucous Dog Rose. It is very similar to R. canina. One of the obsolete names for this species is R. glauca, but it is not the same species as the one known today as R. glauca which was formerly called R. rubrifolia. You can click on the pictures on this page for enlargements:

Link: linnaeus.nrm.se/flora/di/rosa/rosa/rosadum.html

Here is a recipe for Nyponsoppa (Swedish Rose Hip Soup):

Link: www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5883/yule.html#soup

Some other information from the page at the first link:

The plant can grow up to three meters tall. The stems have coarse curved prickles. The leaves are blue-green. It blooms in June-July [in Sweden]. The petals are dark pink to light pink. The hips are oval, smooth, and somewhat soft.

The species is highly variable and there are two recognized subspecies: dumalis and coriifolia. In dumalis, the undersides of the leaves are smooth, in coriifolia, the undersides of the leaves are covered with fine hairs.