Striped progeny of 'Persian Sunset'

Here is one of the newest striped seedlings from this year’s batch that I am really liking. ‘Persian Sunset’ is a great grandparent of this one.

It doesn’t appear to have any sign of the blotch, but neither did the seed parent.

Jim Sproul

It’s nice blotch or not.

That is really nice Jim. That would be a dream come true for me.

Patrick

Thanks Robert and Patrick! I have been trying to get better blotches with the stripes, but the blotch seems to only be visible in the part of the petal that has the darker stripe - it makes that darker stripe a bit darker in the typical blotch zone.

The parentage here is X {[(‘Orangeade’ X ‘Abraham Darby’) X ‘Midnight Blue’] X ‘Persian Sunset’}> X [/b]. So ‘Baby Love’ is on both sides. The part in bold represents one of my named seedlings, ‘First Impression’, that appears to have good downy mildew resistance. The seedling that result from it crossed with ‘Fourth of July’, also showed good DM resistance when I got a particularly bad case of it this Spring. It is sold by Greenheart Farms.

Jim Sproul

‘First Impression’ is really nice Jim.

It looks like it resists fading?

Thanks Robert! ‘First Impression’ is a good dark yellow, but like virtually all yellows that I have seen, if the petals hold on long enough, they all fade. The color does last well though for a couple of days even in our heat. It is best as a pollen parent. It also appears to have very good blackspot resistance, at least in our climate.

Incidentally, in the parentage above, [(‘Lynn Anderson’ X ‘Tournament of Roses’) X ‘Hot Tamale’] was a yellow sister seedling of ‘Heather Sproul’.

Jim Sproul

Jim:

I was looking at HMF tracking some traits and came across your ‘Heather Sproul’ and ‘Pearl Sanford.’ Those are two beautiful roses. I’m not much on pink, but I could add those to my growing collection with no problem.

Jeff

Jeff, thank you for your comments. As you know, ‘Heather Sproul’ is in the parentage of ‘Pearl Sanford’. ‘Pearl Sanford’ has been my most important seed parent for minis, minifloras and floribundas for the last 3 years. This year I planted 5,260 seeds using it as the seed parent. Though it is a true mini, it averages 14 to 15 seeds per hip and if the pollen is fertile, every hip “takes”. Since it blooms in fairly large clusters, one plant can produce plenty of seeds. But, most importantly, its seedlings have a very high “keep” rate. Unfortunately, it is not being marketed by anyone, though I hope to root extra cuttings this Summer to make it available to those interested in using it. It does get some powdery mildew in the greenhouse and blackspot outside, but I think that it has a lot to offer when crossed with the right pollen parent. I should also mention that it is very “plastic” with respect to color (since you’re not much on pink!), and on flower size, bloom form, and plant habit. I have seen virtually every color available showing up in its seedlings. Last year, I even tried K201 on it (my best Hulthemia from 2007), that has very low pollen fertility. One of the new seedlings shows as much blotch definition as K201 did as a new seedling. That was a real surprise to me.

Okay, I’m sorry for going on and on about this rose. I sound like a proud father bragging about my daughter, but even if this were someone else’s seedling, I would be as excited about it’s qualities as a seed parent, but I will stop here!

Jim Sproul

Jim:

If and when you get them on the commercial market let me know. I would like to get a few.

Jeff

Jim, that is a really stunning flower. Not only is the color incredible, but the flower form looks great as well. I love how the filaments and anthers match the colors of the flower perfectly. Congrats.

One word … Wow ! I love stripes and hot colors as well.

Off topic, M119-1 and M46 are also very nice looking Hulthemia seedlings. Thank you for posting pictures of them on your site as well.

Jim,

One thing about Hulthemia persica that I think I see in this one goes back to the ‘brown’ blotch from the plants in the wild.

I know computer colors may not be true, but I think I see something in the deeper colors on the petals there that could be a different shade of brown than the russets that are already out there. Orangeade doesn’t have it…almost a rich brown undertone…to an orange red.

Lois Hole’s photo of a mass growing of Nigel Hawthorne showed color changes in the non-blotch part of the blooms, but a holding of the deep color of the blotch.

Shane, thanks for your comments! I hadn’t noticed your observations about the filaments and anthers before you mentioned it. Good eye!

Andrew, thanks too! I still have lots to add to my website. It’s hard to keep up with everything.

Ann, you may be right about subtle changes in coloration. I suspect that the Hulthemias will bring more than the blotch to roses.

Jim Sproul

I want to order one.

I would have to cross it with oranges-n-lemons.

Jon,

I had the same exact thought. I have had better luck with getting stripes than anything else. If you ever have a spare maiden for sale Jim, I am all ears.