Striped Foliage

This is an example of the striping that is sometimes present on the foliage of striped roses in the early Spring.

Spring foliage always seems so hopeful to me.

Jim Sproul

Beautiful, Jim! Yes, spring foliage IS so hopeful! Though I am not fond of the temperatures, the foliage which springs out of this time of year is what I wait for. It’s like stained glass. Intense colors, wonderful textures, all very jewel-like and jewel-toned. “Hopeful” is the perfect description. That photo above is simply gorgeous. Thank you.

I know here that the foliage comes out all nice and pretty and then we have a hard Easter freeze that comes and kills it. (shhh!!! nobody talk about “weather modification”) Aggh! It tears me up everytime.

…but they do recover…

I’m not able to see your picture Jim, all I get is a red X. I didn’t know there was striped foliage from striped roses?? But I too love spring foliage, it is “the expectation of coming good” for the season,…new life springing forth. Its like going in the store and buying something new…like a new car. I love the “newness” of anything… gives you such a thrill.

Kim, thanks for your kind words and description. You really expressed the feeling that I get when I look at new foliage.

Jon, I am sorry that you get those nasty freezes, we are fortunate here to not have to experience that!

Jeanie, what browser are you using? Yes, there really is a freshness, and expectation for more to come. I love this time of year!

Jim Sproul

Hi Jim,

I just had to reload the page again and it worked. And that is some fascinating foliage you have there.

Jim very nice foliage. The mention of stripe foliage got me wondering if anybody ever used “Verschuren” in an attempt to develop roses with striped foliage. Is Verschuren fertile and if so can it pass on the striped foliage.

Hi John,

I think that this striping is probably caused by the same thing that we see in the rose blooms. Some foliage is distinctly redder in the Spring, I think due to a red pigmentation. Just as is seen in the blooms, the striping gene seems to cause areas where the pigment gene is “turned off”. I think that during the heat of Summer, there is much less red pigment, so the striping is not visible.

Regarding variegated foliage, I have had several seedlings show up with this, but it seems to me that the lighter foliage is very prone to burning during our hot Summers. I have not tried to check for how easily this trait is passed along. I suspect that what we see in variegation is a mutation that may not be carried in the pollen or ovules. Several of these seedlings exhibited parts that “reverted” to the normal foliage and stems, although I do not have any experience with ‘Verschuren’ to know whether that variety also shows that tendency.

Jim Sproul