Sterility

I read on another site that some rose cultivars/varieties are male or female sterile. I’m going to be trying my first cross this season so I was wondering how often is this encountered? Is there a resource where I can out what cultivars to avoid or is it more of a ‘wait and see’ approach?

Thanks.

I’d say that full or partial sterility is encountered about 50% of the time when trying out varieties for breeding. This is especially true when working with species and near-species hybrids, and “off the beaten path” cultivars. Can you give us an idea of which varieties you plan on using and what you are breeding for? That way we can suggests plants to use and which ones to avoid.

There is no single collection of data regarding which roses are sterile; such information is encountered here and there, when a breeder mentions difficulties. HelpMeFind is a source of information that at least tells you which varieties have been used sucessfully in breeding, listing all progeny.

Good luck,

Paul

Thanks Paul. I’m new to this so I’m not familiar with the terms species or near-species hybrids with regard to roses (I’ll look them up; no need to explain here). I have no real goal in mind as of now but maybe trying for some color variation; I’m mostly looking for a little diversion and maybe something that can turn into a hobby.

My parents have a handful of roses that I’m going to try to work with in time but since things are hectic right now one cross is probably all I’ll be able to do. Here is list of what they have

Terese Bugnet (R. rugosa) --don’t know if the spelling is right

Eden - a climber

Golden Showers - a climber

Carefree Delight

They also have one or two miniature roses, the names of which I don’t know.

Thanks again

I should’ve put this in my last post…

I was thinking of crossing Carefree Delight with Golden Showers.

‘Therese Bugnet’ is well worth working with, especially if you want cold climate hardiness in your work. ‘Carefree Delight’ is also worth exploring. ‘Eden’ is an unknown as far as breeding goes. Don’t be surprised if it is sterile. 'Personally I would not choose ‘Golden Showers’ as a breeder, since in many climates, mine especially, it is a disease wracked misery. However, it continues to be used by breeders with “marketable” results. Some of the forum members here are using it as well. Miniatures are very useful breeders, often, imparting compact bush form and generosity of bloom in their offspring. I hope that helps.

Paul

I have tried to use ‘Carefree Delight’ as a male primarily and tried to raise op seedlings, but it doesn’t seem to have much fertility or germination. I did a chromosome count and it is triploid, which may help explain low fertility. David

I’ve not tried hand pollinating Therese Bugnut blooms, but my plant sets very few OP hips. I think other people have reported better OP hip set. I know it is pollen fertile. It is probably diploid, which may make it harder to cross–or at least to get fertile seedlings–with the other roses you mentioned.