spraying

I have several seedlings that are about 1 inch tall with about 3 to 4 true leafs. I feel like I should spray for

fungi but I am concerned about burning the tender foilage.

Should I spray now are wait until I get more growth? If yes

what should I spray with. I am in a zone 8/9 with high humidity.

If your seedlings aren’t showing signs of fungus, I wouldn’t spray them. You might be better off never spraying them so that you can identify and discard the sickly ones as soon as possible.

Hi John:

I agree with Jim Turner. I am now in the “no spray” camp for evaluating seedlings for disease resistance. There is still room to spray though, because I also believe that immature seedlings do not exhibit their full disease resistance capacity.

When I did spray for fungi, I used both Immunox and Funginex (not at the same time) without much problem at the stage your seedlings are. I preferred Immunox, because it seemed to me to be easier on the seedlings and also seemed to last longer.

Jim

Where are you doing your spraying. If is in your living quarters, I recommend using 5 ml of 3 % drugstore type hydrogen peroxide to every 95 ml of water every time you wet your growth media instead of spraying.

Thanks for the reply. I will hold off spraying for awhile.

My seedlings are in a hotbox outdoors. Ht crosses.

Thanks for the reply. I will hold off spraying for awhile.

My seedlings are in a hotbox outdoors. Ht crosses.

Hello,

I sense the consensus is to hold off on spraying. I thought you needed to spray to prevent fungus growing in the soil from killing the seedlings. The top of the soil often turns green - I wonder if this is algae? My father, also a hybridizer, tells me I shouldn’t be concerned about it.

I have been spraying Daconil every couple of weeks, but maybe I will just hold off for awhile. It does seem to discolor some of the leaves.

Libby Walton