Sport of a sport of a sport

I grow the polyantha Sneprinsesse, which is a sport of Mothersday, which is a sport of Dick Koster, which is a sport of Anneke Koster, which is a sport of Greta Klus, which is a sport of Echo, which is a sport of Tausendschon.

There is also a Sneprincesse (with a c) that is also a sport of Mothersday, etc., and which is also white, but which professes to have been discovered by someone else 10 years later.

Separate entries in Modern Roses 10 and on HMF.

Same rose?

I can’t answer the Sneprincesse problem, but I’d look to the registration of the two roses (and if it/they were registered at all.)

Re Radiance:

These were the go-to roses of their time. As modern day folk talk about Knock-outs, when Radiance was introduced, everyone interested in gardening knew what to expect when someone would write “I grow ten Radiance Roses”. They also have staying power that sets them aside. I know that southern California can be Nirvana for roses; the only olde Hybrid Tea I’ve ever seen in gardens in east Tennessee is Red Radiance, and the growers have cherished them and know which grandparent of theirs grew this rose in the early part of the century. That alone means that this group of roses survived fungae rich summers before our current arsenal of fungicides became available.

Look at all the sports that Peter Alonso has found over the last 5-7 years. Especially from his Bees Knees miniature that he has found many sports from. I think part of it is his apparent extraordinary ability to simply spot them on his roses when they occur.

Well, one of Bees Knees parents sports a lot, which is Bridal Pink. Crystalline and French Lace, also from Bridal Pink, also sport. As does even further generations such as Blueberry Hill. The whole clan even sport stripes.

So, it is not surprising that Bees Knees sports a ton.