Speaking of speckled roses...!!

Jackpot!!

I’ve been walking almost daily down this one road near me for almost fifteen years, and never noticed a rose in the ditch there before. Noticed one a couple of weeks ago and today it bloomed!

I’m sure it’s R. arkansana. I have one such on my property, but it’s a pale pink with just a few darker spots up the center of each petal. This one… wow… oh, wow… I dug up as many suckers as I could but only a few had enough roots to plant outside, so the rest are in pots. Will be passing by every day to collect pollen. Pardon me while I bounce around for a while burbling with delight!

What a great find!

Yes, I expect that is R. arkansana, as a clone is known to occasionally turn up with markings like that. I think Kim Rupert once found one like this and named it ‘Peppermint’, I believe.

I was thinking of calling this one “Dots Enough.”

Beautiful photo Fara. That name made me laugh!

Jim Sproul

Oh, lovely!! I hope it passes on the speckling for you.

thanks for the compliments, all. I should mention that unlike the arkansana that grows in my garden, this one has a slight but quite nice fragrance. It also produces pollen like a champ and I’m collecting as much as I can.

All I can say is WOW!!!

Fa, what will you cross this with? I am using The Imposter, a speckled rose, and was thinking of crossing it with Moore’s Striped Rugosa.

Dang, no edit button to fix that I called you Fa instead of Fara Shimbo!! Sorry!

Sharon, “Fa” is perfectly okay! Feel free to use it!

As to what I’m crossing it with, this year, probably everything, just to see how it performs with different classes of roses, and to see how heritable the spotting is. So far I’ve crossed it with Persian Yellow and the Fort Pella Purple, which might be Violette and might not. Waiting for everything else to bloom.

Have you determined whether the spotting is a one off thing on just this flower or is it more wide-spread? I’d hate to think you’ve dug all those suckers only to find that none actually show the spotting… what are you like at grafting? Might be a good idea to whip a bud off that spotted bit and see if you can propagate it :slight_smile:

Hi, Simon,

Yeah, thought of that, so checked… it’s a 3-meter x 1 meter stand of beautifully speckled roses! Dug up a few more suckers a couple of days ago. It seems to be a fairly new stand, and I couldn’t find any really rooted suckers. But I noticed there were some hips here and there, really small ones (as you’d expect in a ditch). So, have more suckers and many more pictures!

-Fa

Excellent :slight_smile: it’s a lovely rose.

Beautiful, Fara. It does resemble the stippled Arkansana Candy Craig (Annie Laurie McDowell)brought back from Colorado for me years ago.

She and her husband spent all summers in Beulah, Colorado, and regularly brought back odd goodies from their trips. The plant is a very nice, though very vigorously spreading garden subject. Like oatmeal on a two year old. Kim

Kim,

“Stippled!” Just the right term!

In the photos on HMF, the flower is very like the arkansana I found, but the foliage is completely different. No red in the foliage here, and the shape and color of the leaves in the photo are more like woodsii than arkansana. Arkansanas in this part of the state generally have blue-green-grey leaves, and red stems only on old wood.

I think part of the problem here is that we have at least three native wild rose species and two others that I know of (multiflora and canina) that are naturalized here. They readily interbreed and I think they do so more often than people realize. Mine were identified for me by CSU, but it was a student volunteer so you never know.