soaking seeds in hot water

The following might have application to rose seeds.

Wymans says that germination of redbud seeds can be improved by soaking the seeds for several hours in hot (170 deg F) water.

To test this, 100 redbud seeds were soaked in hot water; another 100 seeds were soaked in room-temperature water as a control.

Both batches were then stratified in moist peat in frig for 2 months, then planted in flats at 60 deg F.

Within one month after planting, nine of heated seeds germinated, vs zero of unheated seeds.

9% vs 0% may not be hugely significant, but it may be worthwhile to do a similar experiment on rose seeds later this year.

Well, redbuds are Fabaceae, bean family, whatever they

call it these days. A hot-water soak is typical seed

reatment for those, especially if they have especially

hard seed coats. Acacia, mesquite, Olneya… for the

Australian wattles, pouring boiling or near-boiling water

over the seeds and allowing them to soak overnight is

usual.

(Soon the redbuds will be in bloom here. I like going

up to a very public tree and eating a few flowers. Sort

of bean-flavored, they are.)

How much this practice might help with rose seeds I have

no idea.

I use the boiling water technique to germinate my Acacia melanoxylon (blackwood) and my Podalyria calyptrata. I also use scarification whereby the seeds are rubbed between two sheets of sandpaper to score the seed coat. I have also used a 30sec dip in conc. sulfuric acid (battery acid). I don’t think rose seeds are in the same class, in terms of triggering germination/breaking dormancy, as some of the leguminous species with extremely tough seed coats.