seedlings/year?

It would be interesting to hear how many seedlings per year are produced by folks on this forum.

For me, a meager 100 seedlings/yr is normal, most of which are crosses but some ops.

A very good seedling seems to appear about every eight years - 1982, 1990, 1998 - so hopefully another good one is due soon!

My first attempt at rose hybridization was done just this year, on a very neglected, one-a-bloom per year “Queen Elizabeth”

Luckily that one flower gave me a hip! I think it might be a op, however I did try to put some Crepusucle pollen on it with my finger…so I dunno. That hip had about ten or so large seeds. Four I believe germinated, I dropped one down the garbage disposal by accident, one started to grow but gave up the ghost however two made it! One of the two “sisters” is far more vigorous than the other, and is already setting it’s first bud. I can’t wait!

So technically out of my own efforts, I only have two seedlings.

Henry Kuska was kind to offer all of us his leftover seeds and he sent some to me a few weeks ago. I currently have ten seeds that have so far germinated ( two have sprouted) from both a William Baffin cross and a rugosa hybrid, the former having had more germinations 8 to 1.

So in all I currently have four seedlings and seven germinated seeds who have yet to sprout. I have plenty of Henry’s seeds left, so germination will probably continue on as long as I can. I also pulled some hips off of a rose I saw downtown, and it produced seven lovely seeds that sank in the water glass test. So those are stratifying a bit in the fridge too.

So that being said your 100 seedlings is not a small number

to me!

From maybe 1000 seeds/yr, I get 250-300 that germinate, half that come to flowering stage. I generally pot up 1-2 dozen and set them in garden before winter. Half survive until next season even with mulching, so I have a few new each year. Maybe one every 1-2 yr is a longterm keeper, if not marketable product.

However, I’m doing hard crosses in large part so 500 pollinations gives 50 hips with total of 100 or so seeds on either Silver Moon or New Dawn.

With the arctic cold we are getting this week, I may do nearer zero crosses. Shoots 6 inches long with showing buds await temps of below 20 F tomorrow night.

Max,

Congratulations on your QE seedlings. They are growing indoors under lights? When do you plan to move them outdoors?

A number of plants from Henry Kuska’s amphidiploid seeds are growing quite vigorously in basement; some day they will be crossed with a thornless op seedling of David Ziesak’s 1A43 in hopes of getting a thornless amphidiploid derivative, which was? Dr Basye’s goal.

Thanks Dave. I currently have them in my basement underneath this plastic " greenhouse" seedling tent with shelves and a florescent light. My family lives in an old 1930’s farmhouse, so it’s pretty mild ( note, chilly) in the basement, and with heat on it’s probably, five to fifteen ( maybe even more) degrees cooler than the rest of the house. This changes in the summer when it’s just as cold with the air conditioning, but there is a major difference during Winter and transitory seasons.

I’ll post some pictures of my two seedlings as soon as my parents come back from vacation with the digital camera. I’m hoping in the next week the bud will start to swell and color up a bit. I’m being lenient but I’m hoping by the end of April to mid May when all the temperature fluxes are over ( and it gets immediately hot) I’d move them from the trays that they’re in into bigger pots and put them out on a cooler/shadier spot on our deck to get acclimated.

Generally, I have a few hundred seedlings to set out each spring, of those I maybe keep three or four. I only started in earnest about seven years ago, though now my direction is much more focused. Have produced two plants in which I’m especially keen upon. It’s fun stuff, though plenty of work with the large yard I tend and other breeding I’m undertaking. Besides, my summers are very short and often unpredictable, so most of my rose breeding stock must be kept container grown. At this time we’re still very much in the grips of winter!

Terry

Hi Max, be careful when you move them outside. When plants are moved from non-UV light to UV light, the foliage will burn. So, putting them in partial shade or somewhere screened for a week or so will let the cells in the foliage aclimate :slight_smile:

Thanks Jadae, Our Hibiscus often go into a bit of a shock when we take it outside. I’ll put them underneath this little table we have out of the way or underneath the deck.

Do you get slugs and snails? Theyre the last precaution to take before summer hits.

I haven’t seen snails, but I’ve seen a few slugs ever so often, never on the deck though. Should I sprinkle salt?

I haven’t seen snails, but I’ve seen a few slugs ever so often, never on the deck though. Should I sprinkle salt?