Sangerhausen

When I was in Belgium we popped over into Germany to visit Sangerhausen. It was massive and for the short period of time we were there was quite enjoyable. Two days was not really long enough to explore the vast collection of roses, I think a week would be better. Europe was going through a pretty bad BS and PM problem. The outstanding breeders with minimal problems were, Kordes, Noak, Lens and Tantau. A large amount of their cultivars showed minimal damage. here are a couple of pics.
S 66.jpg
S 28.jpg
S 8.jpg

Wow. That’s pretty amazing.

Really nice pictures. Just love the effect of the roses mixed with various landscaping going down the promenade.

So THAT’S what roses look like with water! Thanks, Warren. Great shots!

LOL Kim, when I was in Belgium they didnt get rain for two weeks and they were worried, I said to them where I come from, in summer 3mths without rain is common. One year it didnt rain for 6 mths.

It’s already almost been that long here, Warren. We have another four to five months left before we should expect any…if then, El Nino or no.

A few of Sangerhausens Musk and multiflora hybrids
S 13.jpg
S 12.jpg
S 1.jpg

Warren, you are going to have to identify that bottom most one!

Wow, the pics look gorgeous!!! Last year I was there for the international rose research meetings and felt like I could spend days there too to get through their 8000+ cultivars. The blackspot was pretty significant then too. The symposium organizer shared that there is a process for them to get permission with the government to spray. By the time that paperwork gets through disease can build even more. I asked why there wasn’t a more streamlined policy and relationship for Sangerhausen and the government to be able to routinely be able to spray to preserve the collection when needed and didn’t get a good answer. Anyways, what an amazing place!!! There were some really spectacular large flowered Noack roses that were healthy too that unfortunately don’t seem to be in the US. The one pictured was labeled ‘Munsterland’ and was impressively clean compared to other nearby roses.
8 30 2013 Sangerhausen IMG_2986 (242) munsterland by Noack.JPG
8 30 2013 Sangerhausen IMG_2986 (241) munsterland by Noack.JPG

Awesome place David the two days we were there was n’t enough, I felt I was rushing through the collection. It was quite evident there was some heavy spraying programmes going on, spray residue was easy to see. Those with great health and vigour stood out above all. There are alot there which suffer the very cold winters, maybe some one should develope a garden down in the Provence to accommodate these cultivars. It opened my eyes to breeding lines which we should aproach with caution, so I was very grateful to the people who took me there to see it.

(there is a process for them to get permission with the government to spray) with such collection of botanica well know through the world and on the weekend I was there, people were streaming through the gates. Surely the Govt can give them a budget to spray without going through all the red tape. The funds generated by visitors entry would help.

Noak’s small and large flowering roses looked good David.

Warren

Great shots Warren, did you find anything that you would like to introduce into your breeding that we do not have in Australia ? My other question is in relation to this part of your post

" It opened my eyes to breeding lines which we should approach with caution," Could explain if you have time please.

Regards David.

David there was alot, 90% of my breeding for 2014 has already been done in Europe. I also have alot of varieties growing here at home which are not available in Oz.

Warren

Warren, would you care to mention a few you found in Europe you felt weren’t suitable for use and possibly why, please? Thank you!

Kim it not any in particular , but the actual crosses. As I walked through the vast array of cultivars, these two hybrid types stood out to be affected badly by PM. Wichurana and Multiflora hybrids seemed to be the worst hit by PM , but unaffected by BS. I am not saying to avoid them, but be aware of this observation.

Thank you Warren. That has been my observation here concerning both. One of the most disease ridden roses in these parts has long been Ballerina, which to me, appears pretty straight multiflora. Ironically, both multiflora, Wichurana and their close relatives are also the most susceptible to crown gall here.