Roses in outer space

Link: www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/01/23/shuttle.rose.ap/index.html

There is more detail, including the names of the rose varieties in the following article. The first rose in space was ‘Overnight Scentsation’ in 1998.

Link: www.iff.com/Internet.nsf/0/4BC892626E277B0C85256CB0005F3E1B!OpenDocument

Scent from above? Sorry, I couldnt resist =) Seriously though, is it just the fragrance that they are bringing back or do they plan on returning roses that have been changed for commerce?

I think they bring the roses back too. The roses probably aren’t permanently changed. Their fragrance production is apparently affected by weightlessness and probably returns to normal in normal gravity. It would be interesting to compare the roses that went to space with ones that didn’t. Maybe a stray cosmic ray will cause one of them to sport.

Hasn’t this been done with other stuff? I could had sworn about tomato seeds coming back from a year in space giving very mutant tomato plants, and Japenese hen eggs producing strange fowls.

Several large batches of tomato seeds have been sent to space and brought back for school children to grow. The most famous was a batch of 6 million seeds that were put into space in 1984. Because of the Challenger disaster and shuttle scheduling problems, the seeds weren’t brought back to Earth until 1990. Here is the web page of someone who grew a lot of those seeds:

Jim, I can’t see the link. I had always wanted to see pics of the plants from those seeds.

Do you know that those seeds were purposely radiated (as in exposing them to space outside the ship). I had troubles understanding how tomato seeds become exposed and and changed whle the people in the ship not. Enrique

Oops! I guess one of the changes that I put in for 2.0 caused the link to be lost. I’ll look into it.

The link was:

http://www.ferris.edu/htmls/alumni/c&g/fall2002/tomatoes.html

He grew tomato seeds that were in space for 6 years and compared them with plants grown from seeds that stayed on Earth. He has now grown 12 generations of the descendants of the ‘space tomatoes’. He found no differences between the space tomatoes and the Earth tomatoes. NASA’s goal in giving children seeds that have been to space is probably to show that being in space is relatively safe. On the other hand, mutations have been found in Arabidopsis seeds that have been in space for as little as 10 days:

http://www.arabidopsis.org/ais/1984/kranz-1984-aabnr.html

Seeds germinated and grown in space look very strange, but that is because of the lack of gravity rather than mutations.

At last weeks Twin Cities Rose Club meeting Jerry Olson was glad to learn the rose named in his honor (Jerry O) went up in the shuttle!