Rosa soulieana

I thought I remembered someone asking about this rose, in an ID question. But when I searched the forum, I didn’t find anything like that. Anyway, I think this rose has a lot of potential for breeding. Just look at the size of its trunk. (I hope I

Tom, GeoCities doesn’t allow outside web pages to link to images on its site.

Sorry everyone,

They did show up for a little while. I’ll have to see about finding a new web host. Or I could just post a link to a page with the image embedded in it?? Until then, if anyone really wants to see them I could attach them to an e-mail.

Thanks for letting me know Jim.

I can put the photos on the RHA site. Please email me if you are interested.

Here is the trunk pic.

And here is the rosette pic.

A couple of years ago when Tom Carruth showed me around his greenhouses out at Weeks he had a complete breeding line out of R. soulieana going (including a great account of how he had given away the original R. Soulieana cross they are all descended from and then, years later, gotten it back by mere chance when a lady from a society he had spoken to in the past came up and told him that “that rose you gave me has taken over my back yard”–but then he’s an incomparable raconteur and I feel guilty stepping on one of his stories like this).

The results released so far are very, very impressive–especially Outta the Blue, Long Tall Sally, and Miami Moon–and suggest that there is, indeed, plenty to be gained by using it.

Re taking cuttings from a RRD infected rose. It can be done successfully, but try to take material as far as you can from the root mass supporting the RRD canes.

Recently we saw an own root climber which had been chainsawn twice across the root mass, and the non-RRD side appeared RRD free; the RRD side had lots of aberrant growth emerging from the roots left behind, in spite of their canes having been cut off at ground level before the vertical cut to sever the roots.

Do watch for the roots left behind to push up sick new growth.

Thanks for mentioning this species. It shortens the list of potentially RRD resistant roses.

Ann