Rosa rubiginosa seedlings

…are germinating as we speak. They are all Rosa rubiginosa x Baby Love. The reason I am posting this is to let you all know that they did not require more than one season. They were done 100% outdoors. They were harvested in September, and begun germinating last week. This also holds true for the similar Rosa canina.

So, add these to the list of species that dont need special treatment for germination – at least in Zone 8b temperate rainforest, lol.

If this species behaves anything like Rosa canina, they will probably be mostly once-blooming mini climbers. I look forward to this cross. I hope to cross it back to Dresden Doll, among other things. In fact, Dresden Doll was the designated pollen parent for this cross, but it wasnt ready when the species was! Go figure, lol. I am curious to see if mossing and fragrant foliage can coexist. Can they both happen at once? Will it change the scent of the mossing? Or would it create 2 scents at once? Who knows, lol… but it is my long-term goal to find out.

I’ve been trying to work with eglatine, the direct species.

My seedlings were clones…

I have Lady Penzance and Green Mantle, but I haven’t done much at all… using them as pollen parents haven’t helped.

I do have some Applejack X Lady Penzance, but… they haven’t germinated in 4 years.

I believe we could bring the apple scent to moss roses. If you notice on eglatine roses, they have glands on the buds. So, for me at least, that tells me that it’s possible for the bud to smell like eglatine.

I did notice that the sepals of canina and rubiginosa are both often long, depending on which wild clone Im looking at.

That’s great!!! What a smart idea for a cross Jadae. I look forward to hopefully seeing pictures of these seedlings in flower someday. I hope you can combine warm color and even greater health.

That’s great you had good germination the first spring. Breaking the germination barrier in R. canina and R. eglanteria/rubiginosa seems to depend on a period of warm stratification before cold. Rowley’s 1960 article indirectly points to that and there is a very very complete article by a Polish group of researchers that varied many temperatures and durations of warm and cold stratification and clearly pointed to this for R. canina. Recent researchers still try to manipulate GA and other things. Perhaps they don’t take this reference and the Werlemark reference from the 1990s into account. Last year at ASHS I presented a poster where I compared different durations and temperatures of warm stratification before cold in R. eglanteria, R. canina, R. pomifera, and R. glauca and my data confirms it as well. R. glauca was the most most difficult for me to germinate. I am trying different forms of GA this winter in combination with warm stratification, but so far the data doesn’t seem like different forms of GA make a difference. GA in general is not seeming to make a difference. I suspect a very long warm stratification duration may be the key for R. glauca.

Combining R. eglanteria and moss roses sounds like a really great idea! I have always had trouble taking pollen from my R. eglanteria hybrids or R. eglanteria itself and having successful seed set and germination on modern roses. THe other way around seems more successful. I did have some seedlings with ‘George Vancouver’ as a female, but they were weak and eventually died. They did have a nice fragrance to the foliage which was hopeful.

David,

I had between 8% and 15% germination rate with R.glauca this year with four different pollen parents. That is better than I had with R.arkansana - 0% and 9%, but not as well as with R.blanda - between 6% and 31%. All my seeds had 60 days of warm treatment at room temp. It is intersting to note that the best germination rate with R.glauca was with R.moyesii “Geranium” pollen, but that pollen had the worst germination rate with R.blanda. Only one seed germinated on it’s own, but Don was able to rescue 78 embryos from the seeds. The second worst germination rate with R.blanda and the worst with R.glauca came with Hot Wonder pollen.