Rosa nutkana seeds.. quarantine blues

I had recently bought a few packets of Rosa nutkana seeds (30 seeds) from an online, non-ebay, seller in the U.S. and yesterday I received a letter from quarantine to tell me the seeds had been detained in Melbourne and will be destroyed because they were not labelled with the correct botanical identification. Apparently they put the common name, Nootka Rose, on the pack instead against the explicit instructions I provided them with. Now the place is refusing to assist me in getting the correct documentation to quarantine as I had requested before they sent them. So… they just refunded my money instead of trying to help and quarantine refuse to release them without the supplier’s declaration and the seeds will be destroyed. So, if anyone has any Rosa nutkana seeds they would be happy to sell me I would love to hear from you. If you live where R. nutkana grows wild that would be even better. The process of sending things to Australia is really simple for non-commercial amounts of seed that are on the allowable imports list. All you need to do is:

1. Ensure the seeds are very clean with no soil, debris, dirt, insects, hip pulp, etc.

2. Place them in a zip-lock bag (dry so they don’t grow mould) and label them clearly with the full botanical name (Rosa nutkana). Include your contact details inside with the seeds.

3. Write on the front of the pack “Attention Quarantine: Contains Rosa seeds.”

4. Post it and contact me and tell me what it cost to send and the cost of the seed and I reimburse you through PayPal to make it easy to exchange currencies. This is what Kim has done in the past with no issues (that he’s told me about :wink: ).

They intercept it, inspect it, and possibly treat it with methyl bromide. The Rosa palusrtis and (rugosa x palustris) x bracteata seeds Tom sent over and all the seed Kim and Don have sent over were sqeaky clean so they weren’t treated. They get cleared and put back in the post to be sent on to me and I receive them in my normal mail.

If anyone outside the U.S. wants to know the name of the supplier who stuffed things up so they can avoid the same lacklustre customer service and ineptitude I will pass it on by PM.

Simon,

Did you ever get any Rosa nutkana seeds? If not, I do have a bush that has some hips that I can collect and give it a go per your instructions. Let me know. I recall sending some to David Z a few years ago and he thought that it may have been a hybrid of some sort. I did propagate it from a cutting that I obtained from a plant growing in the wild.

Thanks, John. I haven’t found any yet and will take you up on your generous offer. I will PM you later tonight when I get home from work.

Why Rosa nutkana? Its a week here, but I have to germinate several hips of Purple Pavement x Rosa nutkana, because I told my friend I’d germinate crosses he made, lol. I hope theyre purple … without rust =/

Well, they MAY be purple, but you’re pretty much guaranteed they’ll have rust with Nutkana.

[quote=PacificJade]

Why Rosa nutkana? Its a week here, but I have to germinate several hips of Purple Pavement x Rosa nutkana, because I told my friend I’d germinate crosses he made, lol. I hope theyre purple … without rust =/[/quote]

Not all the roses I grow are for breeding… I collect them too and the species list is growing nicely… anyway… as I’ve said before, the only roses I’ve ever seen rust on here in Australia is ‘Pierre de Ronsard’ and the unrelated, but similarly named, ‘Red Pierre’. Its hexaploid nature might come in useful one day too.

Oh, thats cool.

From what I have observed, the more northern cinnamonae types and the persian briar types are what seem to have a low threshold for passing on rust. Rust is weird, though. Ive had roses which had never had it for a decade and then suddenly “bloom,” only for it to disappear the following year. Then there are roses like ‘Electron,’ which “bloom” perpetually lol. I can only assume ‘Electron’ was named for sulphur lighting, lol.

I can understand that Simon. I too have been slowly collecting species. I find them very interesting.

Simon,

Did you ever receive the seeds, or are they hung up in quarantine?

No news yet sorry, John. It takes between 2 and 4 weeks to arrive from the U.S. normally. Christmas will probably make it take a little longer.

Simon,

OK, understand the time line. I mailed them on the 26th of Nov, so they should arrive in quarantine soon. Hope they pass them thru for you without a lot of hassle.

Yep… I don’t predict any hassles. They are allowable imports and the protocol to get them in has been followed. Quarantine are pretty good as far as notifying people of issues. If there is an issue they will send me a letter to say they have been detained and will give me an opportunity to contact them to find out what needs to be done to have them released. This only happens if they find something wrong with the pack and so long as they have been correctly labelled then I don’t think there will be any issues. I’m looking forward to them arriving. They’ll go in the fridge as soon as they arrive along with the palustris seeds Tom sent over (no movement there yet either, Tom). I bought some R. carolina seeds from an online source a few weeks back and put them in the fridge straight away as well. When I inspected them the other day I found a live grub in the bag… it went into the fish tank and my cichlids gobbled it up but I guess it shows that if something is going to get in it probably will and that quarantine is only the half of it… a lot of the responsibility lies squarely with us.

The seeds have arrived today, John. I’ll put them straight into the fridge tonight. Thanks, again. I will keep you informed about any germinations and seedlings that will hopefully appear.

You are very welcome Simon. Your instructions on how to do it were clear, and I am happy that I did it right so they would get thru your customs. I hope you have good germination. Will be looking for info later.

Simon,

Did you ever get any germination from those seeds?

John