Rosa nitida

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone’s used Aylsham or R.nitida in a breeding program, and what the results were. I really like the shiny foliage and fall color of this rose and think it’d be valuable in creating a hardy, salt tolerant, landscape rose.

Thanks,

Koren in Saskatoon

Koren,

At the link below you’ll see what HelpMeFind.com lists of the varieties bred from R. nitida. So, yes, it has been used, but it has not been used with a lot of commercial success. If I remember correctly, Percy Wright did some work with it there in Saskatchewan. Looks as though the field is almost wide open for you. FWIW, I made a few crosses (using HTs as seed parents) with it back in the 1970s and got a few seedlings worth keeping, but fertility was poor. Eventually I lost the seedlings through neglect during a very hot and dry year. Were I to work with it again, I might take a different approach.

Peter

Link: www.helpmefind.com/rose/pldes.php?n=5377&typ=generation&hdg=R.%20nitida

Im assuming it is tetraploid with the information above? If so, perhaps it would combine well with modern mini’s, polyantha types or small landscape shrubs. For example, (Mix n Match X R. nitida) x Pink Pollyanna --or some such cross (used all pink roses as a generic example). On a personal level, I could really see landscape shrubs with eyecatching foliage as a commercial cash crop.

-Mike

According to Modern Roses, R. nitida is diploid.

Thanks Peter for your experiences and that link to helpmefind, I’m sure I searched there before but somehow didn’t come up with that page. I’m so glad it can produce repeat flowering seedlings, as I thought I’d have to backcross it a few generations to achieve this.

Mike, I’m becoming somewhat of a foliage nut myself lately, but I’m trying my best to keep it under control. :slight_smile:

Koren in Saskatoon

I obtained some OP seeds of Corylus (R. rugosa x R. nitida) from a friend. Although Corylus seldom reblooms, two of my seedlings repeat well and set hips. One is very simular to Corylus in color and leaf color/shape (except for the repeat), while the other one has very shiny rugose foilage and a single white bloom. Both set hips well, although I haven’t tried breeding with them. Email me if you’d like OP hips off of my seedlings.

Joan