Rosa glauca Nova

Hi.

Here is very interesting and hardy glauca hybrid Nova. It doesn’t set hips but pollen is viable

Available in Oululujoen taimisto Finland.

Link: www.proartists.com/roses/A-UUDET%20SIVUT/UUDET%20VILLIRUUSUT2-A-P/nova.html

Beautiful. I’ve had some luck using pollen of (R. glauca x R. pendulina) this season from a group of hybrid seedlings provided by Joan Monteith. That is I now have hips. I hope to have seedlings by next Spring.

I’ve often wondered why R. glauca isn’t utilized more? It seems to have much to offer.

Wow, it’s beautiful! The double, larger flowers sure give it away as a hybrid. I haven’t used R. glauca much, but from what I’ve heard and seen in Kathy Zuzek hybrids she generated with it, they tend to have blackspot susceptible foliage. The clone at the U of MN Landscape arboretum that was used in the crosses may be particularly susceptible? I don’t know. Do others experience a lot of foliage drop from this species due to disease later in the season? There are a group of hybrids Kathy has (had?) that were (Tournament of Roses x (R. glauca x R. laxa)) if I remember right. They had nicely colored foliage, but seemed relatively disease prone. The (R. glauca x R. laxa) (maybe the direction of the cross was the other way around?) was obtained from High Country Rosarium from a suckering hedge they had if I remember Kathy correctly.

Caninae meiosis is so difficult to work with it seems. I’ve tried pollen from such species on non-caninae section roses (diploid and tetraploid roses) and it seldom works and when I have gotten seedlings they have been malformed. With the cross the other way around the seedlings look mostly like the Caninae section species. I have some R. eglanteria (R. rugiginosa) and R. pomifera hybrids this way that I hope to raise enough generations over time to eventually get repeat flowering seedlings. We’ll see. I had a batch of seedlings of (R. pomifera x a polyantha) x Therese Bugnet. Most all are weak and spindly. There is one though that is super vigorous. Hopefully it’ll bloom in a year or two. The female of this plant is 4x and has pollen the diameter expected to be 1x like most Caninae section species. This new hybrid is 4x, so Caninae section meiosis probably carried on through with the female contributing a 3x egg. I think the female parent is a true cross with a polyantha because it has low fertility and has a hint of polyantha influence in flower color and the way the flowers are borne.

Hopefully with persistance we can take the great genetic resources in Caninae section species and creatively bring them into modern roses again without diluting them too much.

Sincerely,

David

Tournament of Roses is highly susceptible to black spot as is. It will defoliate here by the end of the season. If I remember correctly, Texas A/M used it and noted that it has a high %age of blackspot prone seedlings (I think they were testing it with Baby Love). Impatient, it’s parent, has been similar for me. However, Grand Prize, Fame! and Voluptuous (all from the same lineage) seem okay here.

I would try this onto Carefree Marvel maybe…

Crossing it with the line of red chinas out may enhance the red foliage, too…

Thanks for the information. I did few ‘Dart’s Defender’ (Hansa x nitida) x 'Nova

I agree with the others. That’s a pretty Rosa glauca hybrid. I really like glauca and look forward to seeing the results of your crosses with it.

My own latest strategy has been using ‘Louis Riel’ (a hybrid of glauca X spinosissima (aka pimpinellifolia)) as a [very reluctant] seed parent. I pollinated it with Hazeldean pollen and have several hips still hanging on. I’m hoping for a yellow or yellowish flowered rose with glauca-type foliage.

Getting a hardy yellow is one of my goals too (No results yet). I use pollen of ‘William’s Double Yellow’, probably the hardiest yellow rose. It is the only yellow rose that survives in northern Finland.

Link: www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=6584

Another interesting Rosa glauca hybrid is the one that has been growing at Skinner’s Nursery (Manitoba) for several decades. It has single, light pink, 5 cm. diameter flowers that repeat their bloom well. The foliage is light purple-red. It also sets open pollinated hips. Since Frank Skinner never worked with Rosa glauca, his son, Hugh, has speculated it may have been a development by Isabella Preston. Ms. Preston worked quite extensively with Rosa glauca.

Last year I did extensive breeding work with Rosa glauca. Some of the staminate parents included Rosa spinosissima, ‘Hazeldean’ and ‘Suzanne’. Lots of takes but not a single seed was viable. I’ve repeated some of these crosses this year. It seems that Rosa glauca is a difficult pistillate parent. However, if there is success the selections have potential to be very interesting roses to grow in the landscape.

I have three seedlings about five years old that I believe are Rosa glauca x ‘James Mason’. The idea was to get a combination of purpe-red foliage with red flowers much like the ‘Royalty’ flowering crab. These seedlings seem to lack vigour, although they have grown well this year after being trasplanted to a new location. Hopefully, they will bloom for the first time next year.

Regarding yellow roses for Finland, it is likely ‘Hazeldean’ would be hardier than ‘Williams Double Yellow’.

Like David said, caninae meiosis is difficult to work with. It is easier to use R. glauca as staminate parent. I saw few op hips growing in my ‘Nova’. If they produce seeds I try to germinate them and hope to get fertile offsprings.

Hazeldean suffers almost every winter. It dies back to snowline and doesn’t bloom. I live in Finnish hardiness zone 5 which corresponds Canadian zone 1. We have zones 1 to 8. 8 is the hardiest. Hazeldean is (Finnish) zone 3 plant. In spite of that I’m going to use Hazeldean in future.

‘William’s Double Yellow’ and a the pale yellow, single flowered R. x harisonii 'Kiiminki

Hannu,

Yes, it easier to use Rosa glauca as the staminate parent to obtain viable seeds. However, generally the colour of Rosa glauca will be lacking in the seedlings so I don’t see much point in using it this way.

I’m very surprised at your comment that ‘Hazeldean’ lacks hardiness where you live. The parentage of ‘Williams’ Double Yellow’ is uncertain, but I agree with Brent Dickerson that it is likely Rosa spinosissima x Rosa foetida. I note that the Rosefile website rates it hardy to Zone 4 (but it is at least two zones hardier). ‘Hazeldean’ has a hardier parentage than ‘Williams’ Double Yellow’ with one of the parents being Rosa spinosissima altaica (Zone 1). This cultivar is easily hardy to -45 C. Are you sure your ‘Hazeldean’ was correctly labelled when you obtained it? I’m wondering how it reached Europe.

Interestingly, last winter at the Devonian Botanic Gardens (despite basically having a Zone 4 winter) ‘Harison’s Yellow’ winter killed to the ground. ‘Hazeldean’ had no winter kill. There was an absence of snow cover most of the winter, but that doesn’t mean it was the exact cause of ‘Harison’s Yellow’ (and several Rugosa cultivars) winter killing. Anyway, it proves that Rosa spinosissima altaica definitely imparts considerable hardiness when crossed with Rosa spinosissima cultivars.

By the way, are any of the Peter Joy roses developed at the University of Helsinki commercially available yet?

Paul,

I don’t have ‘Hazeldean’ in my garden. The information of winter hardiness I got from Matti Kulju, the President of Finnish Rose Society’s Oulu local group, also an owner of the Oulujoen taimisto (a nursery, 30 km north-east from us) where he grows over 150 different rose. He is very accurate concerning roses. I have to contact him and ask the origin of the ‘Hazeldean’. (http://kapsi.fi/~titenno/taimisto/thumbnails/75a.jpg)

I think ‘Hazeldean’ is winter hardy but not a ‘spring hardy’. I’ve noticed that many plants from Siberia start growing too early at spring when ground frost still exist. Furthermore winter temperature varies a lot and sometimes very quick for example from evening’s - 30 C to morning’s + 5 C. So that gives an extra stress.

I have some information of other roses. Complete winter hardy are most of the pimpinellifolias like ‘Plena’ aka ‘Finnish White’, ‘Poppius’, ‘Grandiflora’, ‘Papula’, ‘Ruskela’(Lady Hamilton?), ‘Nils’, ‘Suzanne’, ‘Seager Wheeler’ and ‘Juhannusmorsian’. Best rugosas are 'Hansa, Th

I have a clone of R. glauca from Sam Kedem nursery and it is the most disease prone plant in my garden.

When I bought it I was thinking of crossing it with a diploid to create tetraploid offspring.

But after seeing how disease prone it is I’m going to go a different route. I’m most likely going to dig it up and toss it.