Robusta

I have realized something–

Many of you are working with Rugelda (just like I used to in the past), but none of you are working with it’s parent, Robusta.

Robusta should be fertile both ways. It has at leas two fertile commercially available offspring. And when I saw the plant a while back, it was forming hips.

Perhaps Robusta is something that a few of us should consider working in the future.

Enrique, before you use Robusta extensively, you should know that it is one of the most blackspot prone roses I have grown. If that is not a concern, than it may be a good choice for hardiness and color.

Well-- I’m not working with Robusta, and I don’t have a place in my garden for it unless I give up one of my bigger roses… And I really need to make space for 3 really nice seedlings of my own effort.

But I would assume that Robusta would be a rose people would attempt to work with. Its color is beautiful and without trace of the species mauvish pink that rugosas have. And people seem to like Rugelda well enough…

Oh, I forgot to add that Robusta is also one of the biggest roses I have ever seen. There are few at a public garden near my house that are probably 10 feet tall and 8 ft wide. It is like a Rugosa rose on steroids. Alas, it loses all but the very top leaves to blackspot leaving only ugly thorny canes to look at during the summer. Maybe it grows better in other climates.

The ‘Robusta’ plants I see in the Twin Cities do not set open pollinated hips, so I just assumed it’s probably a fairly sterile rose and didn’t try to use its pollen. It blackspots here too. Does it readily set hips in other regions?

Sincerely,

David

It hasnt for me–ever. Ive even tried a few roses on it.

I remember seeing it like 3 years ago at heritage, and I did see hips-- although, just to be safe, a lot of the tags are faded by the sun. And sometimes they’re a bit too close by other roses. So perhaps this was Robusta. Or maybe not.

I’ve never actually seen the plant in bloom. So maybe I will see it soon.

And from what I understand, some roses that appear to be sterile in some parts of the world are fertile in others. Perhaps it’s climatic changes. I’m trying to work with Joan’s rugosas, but they never set hips with me. Only once it set an openly pollinated hip, however Joan has informed me that her rugosas are able to set hips quite easily.

Robusta is unmistakable when you see it. It looks very “christmas-y” with the large, single flowers of velvet red and the jumbo sized foliage of dark green. The thorns (um ow!) and plant habit (straight up like a pillar) give it away as well.

Robusta indeed produces hips.

Not on my plant (it’s still young) but on a mature plant it does…

I collected seeds today. It was mostly one to a hip.

Weird. Mine was ancient and never produced. I finally got rid of it this winter, too. I tried all sorts of things on it to no avail. Although I didnt get rid of it for that reason (it was too painful to maintain).

I’m sorry…

I thought I added this in the last post.

Does anyone want the seeds?

Late in the summer I had a rooted cutting of Robusta and did a root tip squash and confirmed it is triploid. Hopefully someone will take Enrique up on the offer and maybe get a more fertile diploid or tetraploid out of it to work with.

David

Ah yes…

David did mention it in my other post on the Livin’ Easy X Robusta cross.

(BTW, David, I haven’t forgotten about the plant… I’ve finished school, and now I can send it on my time.)

Well,

I still have the seeds. I know there are still more hips on the bush, but I only took just a few.

I still have the Robusta seeds. I’ve stratisfied it for a month, and all…

I don’t mind having them, but I already I actually have several Livin’ Easy X Robusta seedlings.

The offer is still up.

I also have plants of R. foliolosa and R. palustris too.

Hi Enrique,

I just moved to Idaho and will have to re-establish my garden, I would be more than happy to take anything you want to get rid of.

Okay.

Eglatine seeds to Pat.

Seedling to David.

Robusta seeds to you…

You want R. foliolosa or the possible palustris?

I think R. foliolosa would be cool.