Robert... your 'Country Dancer' hybrids :)

Hi Robert,

In searching for information about ‘Country Dancer’ I came across all your CD hybrids on HMF. In particular I love these three:

‘CDXANZ’: 'CDXANZ' Rose

‘CDXFUE’: 'CDXFUE' Rose

and this one:

‘CDXHOR’: 'CDXHOR' Rose

What kind of plants do these make? What traits can one expect from CD hybrids? I’ve just had some OP CD seeds from Don start to germinate here but don’t know anythng about the rose. How do they handle the heat where you live?

Hi Simon, ‘Country Dancer’ was surprisingly good here, heat resistant with good repeat, very fertile, easy to use.

CDXANZ was mildly prone to mildew, seed fertile, a good grower. It was passed along to Mike Fitts in Ohio. He tells me it’s not as resistant to BS as he would like. I have one descendant.

CDXANZ finally suffered some mild mildew symptoms this Spring. It’s a good grower, fragrant, just started setting hips but not sure I will carry it forward.

CDXHOR is a vigorous strong growing shrub. It repeats well. The red isn’t as saturated as I would like. Fragrance is light. It’s fertile in both directions. I’ve used it mostly for seed. I got mostly minis out of it last year.

I have a number of crosses on it this season. I’ll undoubtedly explore it for awhile. ‘Home Run’ tends to produce as large number of singles in the first generation. This seedling has more petals than most.

CD produces a large number of pink and white seedlings. It can occasionally produce yellow when paired with the right partner.

Seedlings often have a very interesting musky fragrance I find appealing.

“CDXANZ finally suffered some mild mildew symptoms this Spring. It’s a good grower, fragrant, just started setting hips but not sure I will carry it forward”

Make this one CDXFUE.

I should mention too Country Dancer seemed to be immune to Powdery Mildew here, another reason I chose to explore it.

I wish I could be enthusiastic about C.D. I have over 500 O.P. seedlings and most seem to have mildew. Last year’s lot got blackspot too. It looked like such a good rose where it was growing, though it did get B.S. late in the season. Now the whole bed has been replaced by a brick planter of annuals (next to a dorm on campus).

I do hope to get something out of this, in addition to testing the time-course of seed germination under different treatment conditions. For that part, it’s a great subject, but as a source of good breeders, I’m less sure.

I said ‘Country Dancer’ didn’t mildew here. I never said it’s seedlings didn’t.

You’ll get a real smorgasbord as far as disease resistance goes in the first generation.

Some are much better than average.

I can’t test for Black spot. That’s why I have to send seedlings elsewhere for testing.

It’s just part of an aresenal I’m collecting here that I hope will bare fruit in the future…

Country Dancer is 3/4 bred from old lines of orange-red polyanthas and dark red HTs. Both are fairly mildew intense.

I tried using Winter Sunset onto Over the Moon this year. I’ll try to remember to recall seed set, germinations and if there is mildew in the seedlings. It has two doses of Country Dancer in it, as well as another mildew-monarch, Alexander. Buck was no doubt stacking the pelargonin in this hybrid. It is littered with orange-toned reds despite the fact that it itself ranges from golden apricot-orange to pastel salmon-peach.

Ive had decent luck with Sevilliana in terms of disease resistance. A lot of the seedlings were blackspot prone. I would have assumed mildew would have been more of an issue since I have seen Sevilliana get it and not blackspot. Also, Vera Dalton seems to pass it on easily, so i was worried on that front as well. However, even the Sevilliana x Burgundy Iceberg seedlings didnt mildew. They blackspotted like mad though =) By the way, Burgundy Iceberg passed on color as if it was Iceberg. My luck was nill with it. The crown jewel of this project was Sevilliana x Pretty Lady, which has not had either disease in its 3 years. Its foliage is like plastic.

I purchased Prairie Sunrise this year. I will use it next year. So far, it is pretty fabulous. Its repeat is quick, the color is weather-fast (unlike most Bucks) and the foliage seems to be very shield-like so far. The blooms are extremely voluptuous and commercial-quality. the scent is strong and pleasing. I’m actually amazed that this rose isnt used more widely. I was worried because it is bred from a sister of Sevilliana and Sunsprite. Sunsprite will even usually mildew here, so I am sure its an issue elsewhere. Hopefully its seedlings will be pretty awesome.

Any of ya’ll have any experience to add with your Buck rose adventures?

I need to quit typing long posts. I think my mind is too active lately =/ but I recalled one more Buck idea –

I am trying Double Red Knock Out this season as a pollen parent. Its actually the only one of the Knock Outs I like. Or, as I like to call it, “the only red buck that looks good”. Its a pretty nifty landscape rose. Its only con seems to be that its still not a true red when the sun comes out. I did not recall ever seeing even one hip when scanning the sections of this rose at the wholesaler I used to work for so I decided it seemed better to try it as a pollen parent. I know that a few of you got decent KO seedlings but many of you got dogs from it. I hope DRKO fairs better but it may be low fertility as a pollen parent too. Im assuming that it is also triploid =/ What I dont understand is how extremely similar the plant is to KO. Its pretty unusual for 2 sister seedlings to be near identical in color, plant size, foliage health, etc etc. I keep wondering if its really a sport but I doubt the lineage would be misrepresented. One HMF reports that it got rust, which doesn’t seem surprising for the amount of times Playboy is found in it.

Another Buck rose that is really iffy for me (and it sounds like many others have different results) is the well known Carefree Beauty. I have seedlings segregated by flats, and in the last two weeks where we saw the sun for about 40 minutes somewhere between 2pm and 4pm, everyone of the CFB seedlings mildewed to some degree, with quite a few looking like flocked Christmas trees. I think that I have one without any PM. How much mildew is too much? CFB itself has little, and if Iceberg was judged on mildew alone, it would have been composted. Yet I do hear some people rave about using CFB as a seed parent-which it works well for if it is seed counts that is a goal. I swore that I wouldn’t use it this year, but I did put some pollen on 2-3 and of course the hips are now starting to turn orange. I had this pollen at the first of April (from some birthday flowers) that I wanted to try and CFB was all that was flowering well. Froze the rest of the pollen and it did work well. Remember that if you get some florist roses in January and just need to utilize the pollen.

I’m pretty much in love with Summer Wind in its 2nd year here. No blackspot. No mildew. Blooms repeatedly on well-branching habit. Nice fragrance (extremely sweet). Nice color of salmon (some fade tho). Decent landscape size.

Its only cons so far as a commercial rose is that its flowers are too simple and that its a very fertile tetraploid, which loves to make hips if not pruned.

I hope to breed it into floribunda and landscape types.

“Its only cons so far as a commercial rose is … that its a very fertile tetraploid, which loves to make hips if not pruned”

Why do you say this is a ‘con’?

I list it as a con for commercial purposes. Personally, I like these traits in this rose. But commercial roses in this class are expected to either have a large, ornsmental hip display in the autumn or not create masses of hips that hinder rebloom quality without the aid of landscape maintenence.